Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

QoS on Cisco 2811 HWIC interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

pingerang

IS-IT--Management
Jul 27, 2007
GB
Hi List,

I've got a Cisco 2811 with an HWIC connected to a new MPLS WAN. However we are getting sporadic traffic patterns and large traffic drops at the service provider due to the MPLS Policing traffic over 1Mbit to drop.
I need to apply some sort of QoS in order to get consistent traffic patterns.
please take into account that this is a layer 2 interface assigned to a VLAN which has an IP address.

Any suggestions or recipes?

you might want to play with some GTS to get your traffic to conform a little better..
do you have multiple classes of traffic?
is the standard that they are dumping or something higher priority wise like your voice or priority traffic?

if thats the case you may need to do some cbwfq

gts

im pretty sure both should apply to a vlan interface.. but youll have to try it out and let us know :p

Hi,

I've tried this, as this was the first test, and it applies and works on a router interface, but not a VLAN interface which an HWIC L2 interface must be assigned in order to apply an IP address.

you could apply it outbound on your mpls connection?
do yo already have an outbound policy?

yes, can apply outbound with Police to drop on action-exceed, but does not work with Shape 1000000, fair-queue,
this policy when applied outbound only works when applied on a L3 router interface and not an HWIC SVI. So it is pointless really as it is already being Policed to drop on exceed at MPLS provider.

found this example here

policy-map llq-cbwfq
class voice
priority percent 20
class video
bandwidth percent 20
class data
bandwidth percent 60

! hierarchical(nested) policy map

policy-map traffic-shape-llq-cbwfq
class ALL
shape average 20000000
service-policy llq-cbwfq

interface vlan 1
service-policy output traffic-shape-llq-cbwfq

i realize its not the same router platform.. but is this similar to what you tried to apply?

I'll give it a try.
What I have currently is:

policy-map TEST
class class-default
shape average 1000000
fair-queue

interface vlan 101
service-policy output TEST

this works fine on the 2800 series L3 interface but not on a L2 SVI assigned to a VLAN with IP address.
It cannot be assigned as OUTPUT on the physical interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back