Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

QOS on Catalyst 4500

Status
Not open for further replies.

EterPBX

Technical User
Oct 13, 2007
SE
Hi,

I have a Catalyst 4500 chassis with some older cards, Supervisor IV (WS-4515) and the 18-port GBIC cards (WS-X4418-GB).
I am used in configuring QoS on Metro 34xx and 36xx series of switches, and are not getting it to work really.

My situation is like this:

4500 is running as Layer 2 device. Getting vlan for management, streaming media, voip and internet in on an uplink port. They do have a COS value set. On the other end I have access ports connecting to a smaller CPE device. In the CPE device, I have 3 queues, sorting the COS values into each queue.

How do I achieve a working configuration in the 4500?

Greetings
Chris

it's tough to give you a definite answer as we have no idea what your traffic patterns are, how much bandwidth is available, and how much of that bandwidth you'd like to allocate to each of the classes. do you want to police or shape the traffic? what do you want to do with out of profile traffic; police it, drop it, or mark it down and retransmit it? do you have any type of service guarantee beyond the CPE meaning it needs to re-mark the .1p values to DSCP values for the service provider to use or is it all best effort beyond it? lots of questions so please post what you have tried on both the 4500 as well as CPE.

We want to make sure the management always has a little guaranteed BW, and after that Voip and Media. Internet and eventual other traffic will be "best effort".
Uplink will be 1Gbit/s and at the access side it's either 1Gbit/s or 100Mbit/s ports. There is no need to re-mark the .1p values here. In the Metro series we have setup
so that management always has a few percent BW and media and voip 20%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back