Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Qos on 470 through CLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 2, 2004
US
I'm in the process of writing a script that will create a 470 ascii config file. I have all of the code completed exept for one part of the Qos setup.

The new interface group is created, and each port of the 470 base switch is assigned to it. Now I need to add the cascade port. At the command prompt you can type :

show qos interface-assignments

and it will show each of the 24 ports, plus one more called port 50 IfIndex 514. I'm almost positive this is the index for the cascade down port. I tried assigning it to a group through the normal way:

qos if-assign-list add portlist 1/50 name (if-group)

but it comes back complaining its a bad port number.

Does anyone know how to do this?? It seems like it would be a common thing to do for this switch, but I cant find any documentation for it online. Thanks for the help.

The cascade ports are not not handled the same way as the switch ports. As far as I can tell the cascade ports are transparent to any management.

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

The thing is, through the web managment there is an option for selecting the cascade module (labeled U2).

We need to be able to select the cascade because we are stacking these 470s with 450. This will allow the entire stack to use QoS properly.

So I guess what im saying is....the web managment allows the cascade to be selected, so there should be (I hope) a way to do this through the CLI. Do you have any suggestions??

I believe that if you select QOS on the switches you will be ok. The cascade is mainly for switch-to-switch communication(not IP).

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

hello ,mhurly131, my understanding is that 450,s do not stack with 470,s and that the 450 is not qos ready. Anyone know any different ??

cheers

mucka

Actually 450s do stack with 470s under the following conditions:
1. The 450s must be running software v4.2.0.22 or later
2. The 470s must be running the latest software (forget
version number)
3. Stack Operation Mode must be set to hybrid.
4. The 470 must be the base switch.

After that, the stacks work fine. I've already tested this quite a few times and there hasnt been any problems.

You are right about the 450s not handling QoS. But by having the 470 as the base switch, it controls the QoS for the entire stack. This is the reason that you need to select the casade port. It needs to assign the right queue assignment to the packets comming from the 450s.

Ok...so after a little more playing around, ive discovered something.

The items you have to select arent actually the cascade ports...they are the entire 450 switch. On the webpage it is listed as U2, U3 etc..

I was testing this script with only one 450, so i was assumming it was just the cascade in port. The problem still stands as before though...i need to figure out how to select these units from the command line interface so that i can assign them to an interface group...

One more note. The 470's must be 24 port. The 48T's do not stack.

Uh...yeah they do. :-/

We have stacks of 48T's, and 48T's mixed with 460's, & BPS2000's.

They stack just fine. Unless you are talking about 450's only. We do not currently run ANY 470 in a stack with 450's.

Right, I was talking about hybrid stack. Sorry, should have made that clear.

peace

This thread is pretty old now...im surprised it was brought back to life. But to answer my own question....i brought the issue up to nortel a long time ago, and they have since fixed the bug in one of the software releases. It now works from the CLI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back