Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Qmail v/s Postfix 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnold8

IS-IT--Management
Sep 19, 2002
IN
Hi All,

I am planning on installing a Mail Server using Redhat 9.0 and Postfix.I'm not so familiar with Postfix as with Qmail.
As suggested by a friend, I was told that Postfix is better in case of speed throughut etc. Can anyone please give me your professional views about this. I always thought that Qmail was THE MTA ! but if Postfix has better points then I don't mind switching to it !

arnold8,
I've used both postfix and qmail and I prefer postfix. Both have the same goal: to be fast and secure MTA, so either would work.

Why do I prefer postfix then? Number one reason: ease of config/manageability. On first tries, it took me a 3rd the time to get postfix up and running compaired to qmail. Second reason: flexability. Postfix comes with support for mysql, ldap, perl regex's, etc. I always have to find the patches for qmail and make sure I apply them in the right order.

Postfix is gaining ground and I think you will eventually have two camps much like the vi/emacs clans. There will be thoose who love qmail and hate postfix and vice versa.

Either way, both will work, be easier to manage than sendmail, and asuridly more secure.

Hope that helps shed some light.

Thanks then usige...guess I should stick with Postfix then.

Ditto, used both, Postfix came out tops for me.

I think the best part of it was that it automatically creates the Maildir structure when the first email for a user comes in. Perhaps Qmail does it too for all I know, I did it manually when adding the user.

IBM Certified Confused - MQSeries
IBM Certified Flabbergasted - AIX 5 pSeries System Administration
MS Certified Windblows Rebooter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back