Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

qmail login issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidswipe

Technical User
Sep 24, 2007
US
I have a question, ever since friday when I did an upgrade on my kernel for a Redhat ES 4.0 server from 2.6.9-55.0.2.EL to 2.6.9-55.0.2.ELsmp kernel I've had issues logging into my qmail server. I have since reverted back to the 2.6.9-55.0.2.EL kernel but the errors have been fixed on some accounts but not all accounts.

The error consist of when I try to login via outlook or thunderbird using ether pop3 or imap, fyi some people use imap while some use pop. It allows them to login but then after a few minutes they have to type their username and password all over again. Sometimes its not even a few minutes and actually less then a minute, but thats only sometimes; ether way they still get this popup to log back in.

Any idea's as to whats going on and what this is happening?

Well the first thing for you to do is take a look at the log files.

Second thing is how is your system built? IMAP? Vpopmail?

My first thought it that your authentication daemon/program's library links are botched with the upgrade and you'd need to recompile.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

Its Vpopmail, as for the log files searching through I see people some people logging in and some people being denied access but the specific people that have been having issues logging in arent found in the log files for denied access.

So what happens if you telnet to port 110 of the email server and attempt to login via keyboard

Code:
telnet mail.example.com 110
user [full email username]
pass [password]

IMAP is considerably more obnoxious to debug logins for, so this is easiest.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back