Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

QLOGIC 23XX Assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSW

Technical User
Oct 21, 2004
ZA
Hi, I am running a IBM X series 445 box, running Win2k Advanced server SP3 with a single port QL2340 and a dual port QL2342 Qlogic HBA's. They are connected to Hitachi 9980V Storage devices and IBM 3590 tape library. I am running Veritas Cluster software 2.0 SP2 and Veritas Volume Manger. The issue I have is anytime during the day the Qlogic cards does a sort of a scan on the storage disks or the tape library which causes the server to hang for about a minute, which inturn causes the cluster to go down. Is there anyone that has experienced this or a similar issue with the Qlogic HBA's and storage devices or tape libraries????

may be your problem appears when some tape is doing a rewind, forward or reset? when does the problem appear? what is the server and storage (tape/disk array/etc.)doing in that moment?

The problem occurs randomly during the day or night. Users still have connectivity to the files on the SAN. So the server is still up.

Are there any entries in the eventlog during the problems (eg Event-ID 51)

Any entries in the eventlog during these problems (e.g. event-id 51) and so on?

Thanks so far to all that replied..
I don't see an error 51 but an error 9;The device, \Device\Scsi\ql23001, did not respond within the timeout period.

We have now loaded SP4 as recommended by Qlogic and so far so good. We have alos reverted to LAN backups instead of SAN backups and that also has improved our cluster stablility.

We have now loaded SP4 as recommended by Qlogic and so far so good. We have also reverted to LAN backups instead of SAN backups and that also has improved our cluster stablility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back