Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Q: Programs get sluggish? 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcloud

Technical User
Apr 11, 2005
US
I've noticed when I run Photoshop on my computer that opening other programs take a little longer and the whole system becomes sluggish. I have Winodws XP Home running on a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 with 1022MB of Kingston dual channel PC3200 RAM. I would have thought having more RAM would help this issue, but obviously not. Recently I got a new SATA hardrive (SeaGate Barracuda 250GB) and I was thinking maybe I need to get a second one to act as a Photoshop scratch disc.

Sorry, kjv. I didn't mean for my reply to sound so rude. I should know better than to post before I get my first cup of coffee , lol. I gathered from all of this that my HD was infected with an MBR virus, but I'm not sure there are any bad sectors. The event manager is not showing as many error messages as before, but it still has some. Below are the ones I have so far:

Warning: Cdrom - An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom0 during a paging operation.

Warning: Tcpip - TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

Warning: Print - Printer Driver Adobe PDF Converter for Windows NT x86 Version-3 was added or updated. Files:- PSCRIPT5.DLL, Ps5ui.dll, ADPDF7.PPD, Pscript.hlp, AD2KREGP.DLL, AD2KUIGP.DLL, AD2KGELP.INI, PSCRIPT.NTF.

Error: Cdrom - The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.

It doesn't appear that I have any HD errors or warnings, just the Cdrom ones, and I don't think Cdrom errors are the same as HD errors. I'm wondering if SeaGate has a detection tool available on their website for checking this HD for bad sectors. I will have to look into that.

Good idea. If you do continue to have the reboot problems, then I might also would check the BIOS settings for your CPU temp to see if that is overheating. And, if that isn't it, either, and still having the problem, then it wouldn't be a bad idea to try a different power supply if you can get your hands on one - just to see. Just make sure that the power supply is enough to handle whatever hardware you have.

For your warnings, it sounds like you may have 2 possible other problems: a CD/DVD burner/ROM going bad - but I would guess it could just be the CD or DVD in the drive has scratches, as well - don't know for sure. And, the TCP/IP warning - I think that one CAN come up when running certain updates and such, or using a download client, etc. For instance, I used a download client (provided by Microsoft) to download the most current beta version of Windows Vista, and afterwards, I had a couple of the TCP/IP warnings - but if you're not getting tons of them, I wouldn't worry about it.

kjv, thanks for your excellent help. I went to the SeaGate site and downloaded their SeaTools HD utility to a floppy, which I can use to check the HD for bad sectors upon rebooting (with the floppy in). I also scheduled a Windows scandisk of the drive upon reboot. I think I will do the Windows scandisk first, and then reboot and use the SeaTools floppy.

I bought Everest Ultimate Edition to keep track of my CPU and case temps. It's also an excellent tool for a bunch of other reasons. My BIOS reports the same temps as Everest - HD (31), CPU (30), Motherboard (32).

Just so you know I do not use a download client and I did a bunch of upgrades to my computer last summer. I bought a new PSU (Ultra X-Connect modular 500W), got some rounded IDE cables to replace the flat ribbon ones to increase airflow, installed new case fans (I have three now as opposed to the single one I had before, including the one on the CPU), and installed the new SeaGate HD and a Lite-On DVDRW SOHW-1673S.

Would running FDSIK remove the updated firmware I did on the Lite-On, or would that remain intact? Because I did update the firmware on the Lite-On after I installed it.

This is the results of the Sea Tools tests (I ran the full tests which took about an hour):

SeaTools Desktop v3.02.04 Copyright (c) 2005 Kroll Ontrack Inc. 6/15/2006 @ 12:39 PM

The following information has been generated by SeaTools Desktop. Use this information to help you recognize and resolve potential data access problems.

System Information:
BIOS Date 10/14/04
Conventional Memory size 639 K
Extended Memory size 58532 K
IO Channel type PCI

Drive Information:
SIZE MODEL
--------- ---------------------
250 GB ST3250823AS

Serial Number = 3ND1CDVP
Int13 Num = 80, PHYS CHS = 16383x16x63.
ParmTable CHS, Rsvd = 30401x255x63

PARTITION CYLINDER SIZE
---------- ------------ ----
# Type Start End MB
PRIMARY
1 NTFS 0 30400 250072

Diagnostic Results:

Seagate DiagATA Quick Test Result: Skipped
Recommendation:
The "Quick Test" is adequate for most situations.
Consider running the "Full Test" which
verifies each sector on the drive if you need to run a more
comprehensive diagnostic.

Results from Seagate's DiagATA/SCSI:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

DIAGATA.EXE Version 3.08.50629ML
Copyright (c) 2002-2005 by Seagate Technology LLC. All rights reserved.

Timer Resolution: 0.000122
Short Test Begin: 15-Jun-2006 11:26:54
Cable Test - 0 Errors
Buffer Test - 0 Errors
Identify Data
Model Number: ST3250823AS
Serial Number: 3ND1CDVP
Firmware Revision: 3.03
Default CHS: 16383-16-63
Current CHS: 16383-16-63
Current Capacity: 16514064 Sectors
Total Capacity: 488397168 Sectors
ID Method: Unknown
SMART Check: Passed
DST Poll Time = 60 seconds
Short Test Aborted by End User: 15-Jun-2006 11:27:10

End results from Seagate's DiagATA/SCSI

ATA Full Test Result: Passed

Results from Seagate's DiagATA/SCSI:

DIAGATA.EXE Version 3.08.50629ML
Copyright (c) 2002-2005 by Seagate Technology LLC. All rights reserved.

Timer Resolution: 0.000122
Long Test Begin: 15-Jun-2006 11:28:12
Cable Test - 0 Errors
Buffer Test - 0 Errors
Identify Data
Model Number: ST3250823AS
Serial Number: 3ND1CDVP
Firmware Revision: 3.03
Default CHS: 16383-16-63
Current CHS: 16383-16-63
Current Capacity: 16514064 Sectors
Total Capacity: 488397168 Sectors
ID Method: Unknown
SMART Check: Passed
Full Scan (0 to 488397168) - Passed
Elapsed Time: 1.19 Hours
Estimated Internal Transfer Rates
Min: 51.83Mb/s Max: 4276.29Mb/s Avg: 490.94Mb/s
PIO/DMA Data Compare
Total Bytes = 21265920
Estimated PIO Transfer Rates
Min: 2.26MB/s Max: 2.32MB/s Avg: 2.29MB/s
Estimated DMA Transfer Rates
Min: 98.10MB/s Max: 163.51MB/s Avg: 128.32MB/s
Long Test Passed: 15-Jun-2006 12:39:44

End results from Seagate's DiagATA/SCSI

File Structure Test Result:

Partition 1 (NTFS (250 GB) ) Result: Passed with inconsistencies

Some files and/or folders were found with inconsistent write or change times. The write or change time in the index does not match the write or change time stored in the file record. This is normal and not considered a corruption.

NOTE: Any report of possible errors in the file system tests are for informational purposes only. We suggest you should consider testing with the official file system diagnostic utilities for your operating system. Seagate is not able to assist with troubleshooting or reviewing file system test results.

Recommendation: All selected physical diagnostics passed.

If you are not experiencing data loss and SeaTools reports File System Structure errors, they may be caused by a lock-up or failure to shutdown Windows correctly. Many times, these errors may be repaired through normal system maintenance which includes using the Windows provided "Defrag" and "Scandisk / Chkdsk / Error Checking" utilities.

If you are experiencing a hardware error, you should isolate the cause and replace the failing component. If you are unsure how to proceed with repairs, contact a computer professional. After completing any maintenance tasks, run SeaTools again to verify that all errors have been repaired. If errors continue to occur, the system may not be stable. Again, contact a computer professional.

After that I ran Windows scandisk, which reported no errors. either. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I see here it appears my HD is ok.

Well, if those are all correct, which I would guess they were, then you should be in good shape, hard drive wise.

If you don't have any more of the random reboots, then maybe it was just a random quirk - which is possible, just not very normal. If you do get more restarts, then my next guess would be one of 3:
1.) Problems with too much heat - CPU overheating or maybe even memory overheating
2.) Bad/failing power supply - I've had one of these and it's not a fun thing to deal with.
3.) incompatible hardware - have also seen this, but it usually it gives the "blue screen" along with the reboot, saying there was a hardware error at address blablabla.. I've seen this caused even by a PCI wireless network card.

But if no more reboots or inconcistencies, then I'd guess you're good to go. Just keep an eye out for any future recurrences.

I only had the one reboot, which was when Windows was automatically downloading the drivers for my C-Media soundcard. Obviously due to the age and low value of this card that is understandable. So after some research I am keeping an eye on a couple Creative SoundBaster Audigy2 ZS sound cards on eBay to replace the C-Media card with. I've read good things about this sound card and that should improve not only my sound but also any driver upload snags (since Creative has more recent driver updates on their site as compared to the C-Media one).

Thank you for your help, it has been very much appreciated :)

One more note: If you get a Creative Card (forgive me if you already know this - I have a few, and I think they're GREAT!), you'll want to install this way:
1.) Install the physical card.
2.) Install the software/drivers from the CD.
3.) Go to www.soundblaster.com, click on the "support" link, and then "software auto-update". Just make sure that you have your pop-up blocker(s) turned off or that you allow pop-ups for:
and

It works really good. I used to have to go and find each and every install I needed, and read about it to see if I needed it for my card, or if it were just for another, but with this, it works kind of like Windows Update - it checks your machine for you to see what you need.

Anyway, if you get any Audigy card, whether 1, 2, 4, or XFi (newest), you won't be dissapointed with the quality of sound, nor of support - at least that's been my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back