Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pxe-61 media test failure, check cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

porabai

Programmer
Jan 24, 2003
CA
Hello All,

I need help from you.

Right now i am trying to log to my laptop. I am getting the following message "pxe-61 media test failure, check cable but still it is going to login screen. I am trying to install the xp and it is not installing as it says HDD is not there. I went to setup and saw the boot and network and it says lan so i removed the lan option in both boot and network setup. just gave the cd and hard drive for boot sequence. Still I am not able to reinstall the xp. Please advise what i should to resolve this.

thank you for your help in advance.

Regards
Sean

Are you running an upgrade or repair of XP? Is it necessary for you to install drivers via the F6 option at the very start of setup in order for XP to see and access your hard drive?

What type of hard drive is in the machine IDE or SATA?

Hi Linney,

Thank you for the tip. I am trying to reinstall XP as I am not able to log into system. I ran HDD diagnostics on bios screen and it says 80gb 100% done and no problems.

But when i boot thru win xp it navigates thru windows installation but at the point when it prompts user to repair/install or exit i selected both the options of repair and also installbut it prompted back saying harddrive not present.

Also
I got a external hard drive enclosure which i formatted another hard drive in NTFS mode and i am able to see this on my computer under the drives. but when i put this hard drive in laptop and again tried to install win xp i got the same problem.

Please advise. thank you again for your help

John

Hi,
Can to see info about the HDD in the setup section and is it enabled and/or formatted? That error ( according to most of the posts found in Google), is due to an attempt to boot from the network ( as you found out ) - are you still getting that error or just not finding the HDD?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

As mentioned the PXE error is the boot from LAN / Ethernet...

as to the HDD being not seen, well this has to do with the fact that XP cannot see SATA drives as it has no drivers for it installed...

there are two ways to go about that...

1. when installing XP from the CD, hit F6 at the prompt for it, this is usually pretty early in the stage (when the screen turns blue)... and provide the driver, found on the manufacturers website, or through the chipset manufacturer, on a floppy through a USB FLOPPY DRIVE...

2. integrate the above mentioned driver using nLite, into a bootable created XP CD...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

Do you have any setting for SATA to run as an IDE drive (a compatibility setting in the Bios) as discussed toward the end of this thread?

How can I install XP Pro on a SATA machine with no floppy drive?
thread779-1509066

Thank you all. Able to configure by updating in BIOS by setting up boot sequence thru dvd rom and 2nd option is hard drive

for network moved all in the list to excluded list

it worked fine. Thank you and able to format. When I loaded win xp now I am trying to connect to internet to update the xp to latest service pack but i am not able to go thru internet. Currently under network connections i can see I394 connection enabled/firewalled.

Please advise me as how i can create Local area connection so that i can update all the driver files including the wireless adapter.

thank you all once for your help

John

for network moved all in the list to excluded list"
does this also mean you disabled the onboard network card?If you did re-enable it and xp should find the card and possibly install its drivers automatically.

for some reason i dont know i am not able to connect to internet. when i checked ipconfig/all it says windows ip configuration. for my older laptop t42 i formatted yesterday and installed windows xp and it connected to internet directly. but for the t61 which is vista and installed xp and trying to connect to update the xp service pack in order to load other softwares like antivirus etc.,

finally downloaded the driver files from intel website for wireless and now able to browse internet for windows update successfully from

thank you all once again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back