Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PWS Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

oportland

Technical User
Apr 20, 2009
CA
Can anyone give me the name of a good program that would replace Personal Web Server? I liked PWS with Win98 (which we are still using without problem on another computer), but PWS isn't recommended for XP. I write web pages at home, and it is frustrating repeatedly uploading them via dial-up to check them.

IIS - if you're using XP Pro, it should be on the installation CD. Bit of a problem if you're using XP Home.

Hi,'
If you develop using Visual Studio ( or one of the other Visual tools, like Visual Web Developer ) it will have a web server for testing your pages.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

I'd say Apache too.
Best web server ever.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Good morning,
Thanks for the input - I will check out both.

You can use both IIS and Apache but make sure they serve out pages on different ports.

Note that Apache does not support ASP. The addins that support ASP use perl: not VBScript or Javascript. Other than that, Apache is far easier to configure than IIS: it just works (as long as you get your configuration file right). Doesn't need XP Pro: will work with anything: even W2K and XP Home.

If you're using FrontPage and need FrontPage extensions or any M$ specials, then it would be better to use IIS. It is a pain when it comes to permissions and the deeper aspects of web servers. If your ASP pages use vbscript or javascript you might be better off with IIS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back