Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pw_age.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

venmaz

Technical User
Feb 18, 2005
US
I have one laptop in office that has problems at startup.
I checked in processes, a process called pw_age.exe is running, pinning cpu @ 100%. It never seems to stop, I have to kill it. After killing, everythign returns to normal.
any ideas what it is? Could not locate specifics on search.
win2k.
thanx in advance

ha, shoulda tried that first, will give it a go.
Weird thing though, after 3rd reboot, the pw_age.exe did not initialize, its gone...very weird....
Ill see if it pops up again tomorrow.

If you use or got Soloris Systems Programing on your computer PW_AGE is part of it

Will check for that Tuco. Its a work laptop, no idea why they would have that on laptop.
Strange thing, it did not start this morning when I boooted up laptop, no pw_age in processes. It was there yesterday.

ooohh...SUN...
Looks like their SOLORIS 10 may have memory leak in 'getpwuid'.
Of course I cant read the fix because I dont subscribe to Soloris.
But that program is not installed on the lapotp. What else could be running besides Sol10. I alos installed latest Java 5.0, they had no java installed. Maybe that will fix it....

ack..i rebooted and pw_age is there again, it was not there on the first boot this morning.
Running Hijack...

AHA!!!
hijack this -
\"ourserver"\NETLOGON\pw_age.exe
hmmm...the 'ourserver' is our printer server.
What could it be doing...?

getpwuid looking for user ID and has pw-age looking for a password, thats why its draining the CPU at startup

Perhaps rename pw-age for now in case you may beed it later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back