Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PW Authentication Issues since Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSMCBackup

Technical User
Apr 24, 2003
GB
Hi,

I upgraded some clients from 5.3. to 5.3.5.3 and since then the TSM Service will not start.

It would appear the registry is not keeping the password? I have reset the passwords on the TSM server, connect to the GUI - enter new PW, fine. Close GUI, reopen GUI - no prompt.

When I start the TSM service, it fails with the following:

12-11-2007 10:51:31 Node Name: UKWASLTN09
12-11-2007 10:51:31 ANS2050E TSM needs to prompt for the password but cannot prompt because the process is running in the background.
12-11-2007 10:51:31 ANS2050E TSM needs to prompt for the password but cannot prompt because the process is running in the background.
12-11-2007 10:51:31 ANS1029E Communication with the TSM server is lost.
12-11-2007 10:51:31 Scheduler has been stopped.

Attempting to connect to the GUI again prompts for the password? I didnt remove 5.3 i just upgraded "over the top" - could this be the issue?

Any help gratefully received!

In the dsm.opt - try setting "passwordaccess prompt" then run dsmc from the cmd line.

Once you successfully connect, try setting passwordaccess back to generate, and through the cmd line run dsmc again.

Once you go in again, try it from the GUI.

I can connect to the GUI no problem, the problem is with the scheduled service.

Is it safe to remove the node details key from the IBM registry tree?

Try this:
1 - stop the scheduler service
2 - set passwordaccess to prompt in the dsm.opt
3 - run the scheduler in the foreground (open a cmd window and go to the prog files/tivoli/tsm/baclient folder) dsmc sched

4 - enter the password when prompted.
5 - ctrl-c out of there..
6 - set passwordaccess back to generate and repeat step 3
7 - start the scheduler process...

See if that makes a diff... I'm hesitant about messing around in the registry, especially on prod servers... its safer to try to have TSM fix it...

Hi,

That didnt work either :(

Only thing i can say about our setup is we dont use the default dsm.opt files, we have a folder on the C: of each server called "backupcfg" which has shortcuts calling the dsm.exe with the optfile from within this folder.

For the purpose of your tests, i copied our live dsm.opt to the one in the baclient.

Oddly, 5.4.1.2 (even tho not supported by IBM on Win2K) - seems to work just fine on the offending servers.

Confused!

Oh ya.. it doesn't matter which dsm.opt you use.. as long as its the one being referenced when you set the password..

when you do dsmc sched in cmd (Step 3), what do you see? does it prompt for the password, and is it the same as in step 6? What does the schedlog and errorlog say? Anything in application evts?

i reverted back to 5.1.5.1.

Looks like the API within TSM 5.3 wont work with 5.4 Domino. Makes sense now i think about it!

Managed to get TDP 5.3.0.0 so I will roll that out instead.

Cheers for your assistance!

Paul

Oh good for you.. didn't realize it was a domino client...Ya they can be picky sometimes.. ;-)

Good work.

LOL cheers - one put to bed.

til the next one ...

Ok.. so its not quite in bed yet!

I installed TDP 5.3.0.0 on 2 servers last night, and both crashed Domino as soon as I tried to connect to the service to perform a test backup.

Aaaagh!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back