Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PVC piping into basement 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fs483

Technical User
Jul 7, 2002
CA
Hello,

I'm having my cold room remodeled and wanted to clean up the UGLY wiring job that both Bell and Cable companies did. When my house was built, the idiot that ran the telephone cable did a bad job by running it under that joist instead of drilling a hole through it. Then the drywaller put a few screws into the telephone cable. To repair the damage after the house was completed, the telephone guy was too lazy to drill a hole in the wall to pass the CO feed and to rerun all the (at least 6 pairs) of damaged cables, he decided to drill a hole in the frame of the wood trimed window. The cable guy also did the same. I will have the window replaced but I don't want the cables to go through the window frame anymore. I want to put a pvc tube through the wall but I was wondering how to prevent water, weather and bugs from getting in. I will surely put a right angle fitting pointing downwards so direct water can't get in but how should I seal it to prevent bugs and the cold but also allow the wires to poke through ? I can also but pink insulation on both ends but that doesn't seem right. Are there any rubber gaskets that will allow me to poke wires through but seals it against bugs and the cold ? I'm in Canada and the weather does get pretty cold and wet up here.

Thanks
akwong

If you don't plan to run any more wires through the conduit foam it with the expanding issulating foam you use around windows and door casings to fill the voids. Down south we can get it at the home improvement store.

use a weatherhead on the outside and seal the inside with duct seal or similar.

Well you never know if wires will be added in the future. I currenctly have 2 8 pair feeds from the pole for Bell, 1 coax for cable and at least 6 pair (actually 3 wire exteriror) telephone cable. I will check for the weatherhead instead of expanding foam. For the inside, duct seal, is that the aluminun foil tape ?

thanks
akwong

Thanks HDCINC, i'll check it out.

the local home depot carries duct seal for less than 2.00 for a bar

you can easily drill through a foam insulation.
i like silicone on the outside of the pvc and foam on the inside.

euh, naw, I don't want to drill into the end of a conduit that already has wires in it. One slip and you end up replacing the whole run from the pole. Don't forget, the pvc tube isn't very large in diameter (1 inch or less). I'll have a elbow joint point downwards and the tube is a little higher than knee level so it's not going to be easy drilling a hole into the foam insulation. I'll try to go by Home Depot to check it out tomorrow.

Thanks.
akwong

you dont have to "power"drill into the foam , I would work a screwdriver or awl in slowly , little chance of damaging existing cable

I surely would be careful, can't say the same for the telco/cable guys. I've seen some of them do pretty botchy jobs and some do excellent jobs. I just takes one dumb one to mess everything up. I found the "Duct Seal" product a Home Depot today. A 1lbs block for 2$. I'll be using that after I put in the pipe.

Thanks.
akwong

actually you can also use the acetone nail polish remover with that foam --- the directions say to use that if you get it on your fingers -- my husband uses it around the air conditioner in the summer, and it peels right off when it's time to take the ac out come fall -- what's bad is the only reason for the air conditioner is to keep the network cool!

Kaycek
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't give up and Don't give in

Just be sure to angle it towards the outside. SO if H2O does get in, it will drain OUT not IN

Amen! and living in Northern Indiana we have been having a lot of that!

Kaycek
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't give up and Don't give in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back