Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Puzzling IP Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfierce

IS-IT--Management
May 1, 2001
US
I have a NT4 server that has been on our network since before I came to work here. We have a direct connection to the internet. For some reason (I haven't changed anything) I suddenly cannot access the internet from this server. Also, all other servers can ping it but it cannot ping anything but itself. I have checked and re-checked the tcp/ip protocol settings and updated the hosts file to no avail. It can browse to any other server or workstation on the network and visa-versa. It's probably one of those things that will be a simple fix but at present it alludes me. Please help if you can.

thanks,
sfierce

are the servers connected through a switch I have seen issuses like and ended up being a bad switch port I would move the wire to a free port and test if that corrects the problem, during off peek hours I would reboot the switch and retest the suspect port if the problem goes away you are good if the problem returns I would mark the port bad and move on. Steve Bowman
steve.bowman@ultraex.com

I wish that would have worked. I moved the cable to a new port and also tried an entirely different cable on another new port. Neither attempts worked. I can still see the server, it still sees all the other servers. I can ping it but it can't ping anything. It can resolve the computer name to the ip if I ping the name like ping "name", it returns the ip address and then goes straight to "request timed out".

try stopping and restarting the networking service ("network", "server", I'm on XP now, can't remember the right name)... how long since the last time you rebooted the server?

ipconfig is okay? server ip address, mask, and default gateway are correct? remember that the browser is netbios... see if you can telnet into or out of the box... you use hosts file, not dns so it can't be that... not dhcp, static ip address, right? double check to see if that's the case... ip address leases run out on dhcp... might try "ipconfig /renew" just to be safe...

is it a member server? check the event logs to see what activities might have been happening...

Good luck!!! JTB
Solutions Architect
MCSE-NT4, MCP+I, MCP-W2K, CCNA, CCDA,
CTE, MCIWD, i-Net+, Network+
(MCSA, MCSE-W2K, MCIWA, SCSA, SCNA in progress)

Sounds like a routing issue if name resolution is OK. Unless there is an ICMP and HTTP restrictionon the Firewall.

Check the routing table of the problem server and the subnet mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back