Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Puzzled: Slow Citrix over PTP T1?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckaye

Technical User
Apr 2, 2003
US
We just put a point to point T1 in between our Chicago & LA offices. We run Citrix in LA. With our regular internet T1's in LA & Chicago, the Chicago people experienced serious lag when typing and moving thru spreadsheets, etc.

The point to point was put in to eliminate that. The problem: It's no different! Even though latency is only 63ms, and there are no hops in between!

Now, the point to point line is configured as frame-relay, not serial point to point. My understanding is that this might have a minor effect on bandwidth, but bandwidth is not our issue - only 10 people in Chicago. Nor is processor utilization, load balancing, etc.

We have a checkpoint firewall on each end; in LA the router for the PTP line is inside the firewall, but in Chicago they have to go thru the firewall to get to the router. They also have a Cisco Catalyst 2950 (overkill) for their small network.

Any idea why there is still lag? I can't figure it out. Thanks.

Its hard to say with this one but I would First ensure that your Rules pertaining to the ICA protocol are at the top off the rules list on the firwall. This is so that your ICA packet will be forwared soon rather then later (this may make a small gain.)

Also ensure all the ICA clients are set and optimised to WAN usage.

Have you applied any Registry tweek, to improve screen redraw yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back