Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Putty, SSH server and Remote Desktop 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sman26

Vendor
Jan 13, 2005
US
I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. My goal is to access data from at my home (remote PC) from work. I think I have the general idea but need a little help. Does any of this sound right?
At home I have a D-Link router, Do I need to port forward port 22 on the router? Do I need to install an SSH server to connect to from work like OPENSSH on my XP machine? From work I need to configure PUTTY with the HOST NAME OR IP of my Public IP address and click SSH with port 22. In SSH under tunnels I need to put in a source port and then destination IP, again the home public IP address and port 3389). Click connect and then I will be prompted to authenticate into OpenSSH and then once authenticated I can RDP into the home box?
Like i said..i'm a little lost...are there better ssh servers to put on the remote side than openssh?
Thank you.
sman

Can't you just set up the D-Link for PPTP or L2TP access?? On your remote machine you'll use Microsoft DUN to configure a VPN adapter for either PPTP or L2TP (whichever one you set up on the D-Link). You'll then establish a VPN connection from your remote PC to the D-Link and once established you should be able to run an RDP session directly to your XP box inside.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

My D-Link router doesn't offer any VPN options. I had seen people setup what I had listed above here
and I wanted to see if i could get it to work but was wondering if anyone else my have any pointers with what i described above. Does the process sound correct? Anyone else using anything else that is secure and can get back home?

I agree with pompeychimes. I use logmein often. Nothing to install at work and you can access you home computer from any computer with a web browser. The only place that you have to install anything is on the computer that you want to connect to.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back