Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Putting the Outlook Address book on a file server

Status
Not open for further replies.

xmario2013

IS-IT--Management
Feb 1, 2004
US
Hi All:

We have a small branch offer, does not plann to buy the full blown Exchange server, but people wanted to use outlook, so I suggested the IT guy in that office to setup internet email for 5 people so they can communcate via external email, another issue we running into is what if we want to have a certralized address book, like Exchange server's Distribution list, all that is to outlook is a bunch of email address bundled into groups, can the stand-alone internet-email client have access to a DL/addressbook without having Exchange server present ?

for example, if we only have 5-6 people needing to access a addressbook with email groups in there, and they want to be able to update it so everyone can see the change, can this be a outlook address book file sitting on a file server ?

Thanks

i'd say you need to have a central location for the dist lists to reside.

the only thing i can think of is to setup the contacts in 1 users outlook client, then give permissions within outlook to the other users to access it via their outlook.

i havent tried it, but all i can think of for now

About the best you could do would be a shared .pst file that contained a Contacts folder. That could hold shared addresses and dl's but a large limitation would be that you couldn't select names from it while composing an email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back