Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Putting The Clock Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hattusas

Programmer
Nov 11, 2001
TR
Is it possible to restore a new database from its current position's a certain period of time(an hour,3 hours,15 minutes etc.) earlier interface?
We are backing up our db once in a day on early morning time and sometimes for example when our users make a great mistake that interferes the stability of data in the afternoon , we want to undo the operation but restoring the back up causes the whole data to be lost entered during the morning time.

Any methods for that?Thank you..

Salih Sipahi

Hattusas,

you need to do a restore, then rollforward through the logs to a particular point in time. If there's a UOW spanning this period of time you'll be forced to go to that. Not read the link from ties other than the title and the title seems to cover what you need to do, so I'd go with that article.

If you need them I can post some specific instructions as to how we do this day to day in my place.

Greg

Thanks for your help. I was omitting the restore step.

As an addition..I have a question for my log files. When I decide to delete the logs older than a period of time e.g 3 months what steps should I do?
Is there any database configuration for that?

Salih Sipahi
Software Engineer.
City of Istanbul Turkey
s.sipahi@sahinlerholding.com.tr
turkey_clr.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back