Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Putting TEXT inside a dashed line

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffonwing

Technical User
Mar 7, 2009
US
I'm working for an architect, and I've been doing some architectural drafting of elevations. Door & Window schedules, lighting/electrical elevations, etc...

I'll soon need to start on some plumbing elevations. However, one thing that another fellow using AutoCAD can do, that I can't, is creating a dashed line with text. I'll need to do something like this:

GAS -- GAS -- GAS -- GAS -- GAS -- GAS -- GAS --

Is this possible to do? I've attempted to put some text into the dashed line boxes in the STROKE flyout where you normally specify length, but in both dash and gap I get Invalid Numerical Value errors.

Is this possible? If so, how, and if not, is there a workaround?

Thanks in advance.
gw

...you can't use words in the stroke palette, only numbers...

...you have to create a a brush...

type out:

GAS --

...drag that text to the brushes palette, select scatter brush, then in the next dialogue choose:

rotation relative to "path" from the drop down menu...

...apply to a line...

andrew

...to add..

...if you need to change the stroke color, you need to have colorization set to "tints" at the bottom of the brushes dialog when you create the brush...

...or you can double click the brush in the brushes palette, and you will be able to make edits anyway...

andrew

...forgot to mention, you will also have to have the text outlined (type > create outlines) to be able to color a stroke freely...

...it won't work if it is normal text...

andrew

Another way to do it would be to draw a line out on the page

Use the Type on Path Tool - (hold down the mouse on the type tool to bring out the other type tools)

Type on the path what you want.

Select the line using the white arrow tool, and change it to a dashed line.

On the Character Panel - (window>type>character) - change the baseline height so the text sits on the middle of the line.

or go to the Type on Path Options - (Object>Type on Path options)

And set the text to be centered.

I think andrews way is better though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back