Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

putting linux server on internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcp

Technical User
May 15, 2001
ID
Hello,
i have a linux server(redhat 6.2) with ip 202.56.24.12.
i have 2 dns servers:202.54.6.35 and 202.54.1.30(given by my isp)
the gateway is 202.54.41.20 .
how do i configure all these details on the server?
please help me with the commands and the process.

Thanks in advance
kcp

One friendly tip: never give out your actual IP addresses if you are admitting you don't know much about your server. It's an open invitation to crackers.

If you run "linuxconf" from the command line (or if you run it in KDE or Gnome, you will get the graphical version), it's pretty obvious by the way the tool is set up. Just walk through the networking choices and look for each thing. Don't worry if you get it wrong the first time, because you can redo it as much as you want.

Spend some time reading up on Linux security, you are going to need it if you are running a Linux server. is a good place to start.

Also visit and
Have fun ;-)

Thank you.
i now am able to configure the thing.now its up on the net.but i am not able to telnet to this server from another machine.when i login as root and give the password its showing incorrect
how do i give access to telnet ?
Thanks in advance

Usually you can't directly telnet as 'root' (a security precaution); you have to create a standard user on your Linux machine, and give that user 'superuser' rights. (Generally, when creating the user, you are asked if you want to invite the user into other groups. Enter 'y' for yes, and then enter group 'wheel', which allows that user to become the root user after logging in. (or you might just be asked "grant user {username} superuser rights?", after which you will answer 'y')

So then you can log in as a regular user, issue the command 'su', and you will be asked the root password, so you can become the root user.

Thank you.now am able to login as user and later su to root.
but i have another linux mailserver in my place to which i can directly login as root.how could that be ?
Thanks in advance
kcp

...because it's configured WRONG. Yes it's possible to set up any Unix computer to telnet it as root, but that is not practicing safe Unix (hehe).

If fact, you should really not use telnet at all. Find out about using Secure Shell, which is like telnet, but it encrypts data sent and received. Anyone tapping your communications can get your username, password, and everything you type in when you use plain telnet.

or

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back