Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Push installs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComputerShaman

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2005
US
I wish to "push" an install of a few simple programs to about 40 clients. In the past I created a folder on the server with the install files and went from client to client and installed each one individually. I know this is the hard way, but since I have not done a "push", it is the tried and true method for a ridiculously busy administator. But hey, once I do it I know I will save much time.

Any pointers on the best way to do that?

Thanks in advance,

ComputerShaman

That really depends on the progrmas. In order to use AD to push it out you need to have an MSI package. Do your apps have MSIs?

You could also explore creating your own MSI. There is a handy free utility built in with your Windows XP for it. Click Start. Run and type IEXPRESS and click OK.

Decide if you wnat the program installed to the computer or user. For most software I would recommend Computer so you can have it installed before a user logs on, otherwise they have to wait for the software to install.

Once you have an MSI, open up a new GPO and under either the Computer or User Configuration drill down to Software installation. Right click to create a new package and follow the wizard's instructions. It is fairly simple from there.

Be sure to set the security for your GPO to ensure this gets deployed to who you want. You will probably want to deny application to your servers.

Your other option is to install the programs via a script. Give some details on your programs and I can help with that if you want to go that route. Need to know the exe name and if there are any switches for making it a silent install. If you have to select choices you would need to write down every key you need to hit to automate that.

This all sounds crazy but it really isn't that bad. Best if you have the MSI though.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

I'm looking to install Quicktime on all the workstations. (I've already put it off a few days hoping to learn to push.)

I'll try with your help. :)

Thank you a million!!!

ComputerShaman

Been a while since I downloaded Quicktime. Did you download the full network install for it? If you open a command prompt and type setup.exe /? (or whatever the exe name is for QT) does it give you any available switches like silent or Extract Only?

Regards,

Mark

I'm downloading the file right now into a folder on the Server. Looks like iTunes is packaged with it as it named iTunesSetup.exe. I really only want the users to use the QT Player if I have choice.

OK, I will try the MSI method and will let you know how it goes. Or will cry for help! ha ha

Thank you much!

ComputerShaman

Hello Mark,

I went through the IEXPRESS and it created a .EXE file. I went ahead and tried the Install Software from the GPO on the server and it is indeed looking for a .MSI file when you get to that point.

The process was easy, but somewhere I hoped to see an MSI file come out, but all I got was an EXE. I renamed the EXE to MSI, but that didn't work. (Thought I might as well try, as the song goes. Ha)

Any ideas on what I may be doing worng? Or leaving out?

Thanks again mark!

ComputerShaman

I read the link, and it says that a clean machine is needed. If there are several offices with various software installed, will I still be able to push apps?

Looking at the description of some downloadable trial msi creators, there seems to be more to in than I thought. Maybe it isn't so bad, but I am wondering now.

It is not unreasonable that I can continue going from machine to machine, but I know if I can get this down I will save a lot if time. Sure would be nice to sit in the server room and install 50 computers with any application I wish. :)

let me know what you think. Thanks!

ComputerShaman

Do you use sms? That can do it for you. Also, if you find the command like parameters, you may be able to use a login script or batchrunner to do it. I have a program called batchrunner that reads a command file and will run it locally on each machine. You can download it from the internet for free. This will require local admin access on each machine using 1 name/password.

Personally, I would invest the time in learning how to push this as the solution could then be used again for the next application you need to update.

Having a clean machine is preferred, but the sysprep should still be able to compare before and after snapshots no matter what else you have mloaded on there.

Regards,

Mark

I downloaded the trial version of InstallSpy and went through the motions. The trial did not do a complete msi, but I know more about the process now. Once I get the process down I will possibly setup a clean machine and build msi's for several programs. I love the idea of sitting behind my own computer and installing programs in other areas. :)

I will research before buying InstallSpy to see what is best, or perhaps what is free. Any further tips are appreciated greatly.

Thanks!'

ComputerShaman

I have used WinInstall LE and it works well and is free.

Regards,

Mark

Some of the advice on appdeploy can be tricky, creating an MSI for Quicktime is straight forward with WinInstall i've made one before.

"Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar." - Sigmund Freud

Thank you!

I downloaded the "Free" WinInstall and as I begin the install it asks for a license key. The option for demo presents the message that it is only good for 15 days after which any program installed will not work.

We'll buy it if it is worth it, of course. But is there a free version I am not seeing?

Several links on Google that say free, all go to OnDemand Software.

I'm out of here today, but tomorrow will make an msi and post a follow up.

Thank you all a million!

ComputerShaman

Ouch, I just checked back and see that it is no longer free huh! Bummer. If you have a Windows 2000 server CD there is a free copy on there.

Regards,

Mark

Doh! I read the post, clicked the link, downloaded the program, ran install, and I guess I was too late.

We may have the 2000 Server disk around, I'll look when I get to work.

In all reality, the $45,00 would pay for itself on the first canvas install though, so that is OK. I like free, but I don't mind paying for a good product when we have to.

Thanks though for the tip!

ComputerShaman

Hello again!

Using the trial version of WinInstall, I created an msi for SnagIt to do a test run. The problem I am having now is that the "Publish" option is not highlighted, only "Assign" and "Advanced" are available from the GPO. I looked for the services to start and haven't seen one that will allow the Publish feature.

With assign, when I go to the client machines I see the program listed as XP loads, but it is not installing. I checked the security and even with everyone enabled it doesn't install. Thus I feel that by publishing the install would be best.

Any ideas on why the publish is not offered in the wizard?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

ComputerShaman

Take a step back. Where are you applying this? At the computer configuration or the user configuration?

Publish would be for users. Assigning would be for computers.

If you knwo what machines you want this on, then use the computer configuration, Advanced option. When you reboot the machines the software should install and your users won't need to wait for the program at login.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back