Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pure-ftp

Status
Not open for further replies.

parkerbw

Programmer
Aug 8, 2001
US
I need to set pure-ftp's default download to be binary. Is there an easy way of doing this?

I am sending this link in an email to my customers which automatically logs them into my ftp server and downloads the filename.zip
If I need to put the binary mode here on the client side, what should I add to this ftp link to force binary ?

I have tested this and it works great for ascii.

ftp://userid:password@ipaddress/filename.zip

It depend what is his ftp client. By default I think that most of the ftp client are using binary for file transfert.

parkerbw, if your customers are using IE as their FTP client, your link won't work.

I know this is totally not the answer to the question 'how can I make an ftp client do what I want', but smah's posting made me think:

You may consider providing the file via HTTP, where you can provide a content-type to aid in disposition. Besides, more people know how to work a browser than an FTP client, and most browsers are tied into the GUI environment.

Off-topic (and I hate it when others do it to my questions) but a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back