Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Purchasing Software for use in another country

Status
Not open for further replies.

btnet

MIS
Oct 30, 2002
US
Please help me find the correct forum for this as it does not necessarily apply always to Windows XP. Here's my question:

My company is in the USA and we have set up a new company (llc or whatever it is in Mexico). Can I buy software here in the US and just install it in Mexico? Seems like I would have to pay some sort of duty but since we are going to download the software I am not sure. Any help or direction as to who to ask would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

There's no specific "regionalization" for software. Specially not downloadable software.

Unless you plan on bringing over tons of physical software boxes, there's no country fees. If you were importing software boxes, like say for Windows install media, you'd be subject to import fees and Customs declarations. Otherwise, what you download and install on your PC's is your own business.

Heck you can even buy a single piece of software in a physical in the US, and bring it down here to Mexico, and install it here without issue.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Actually this would be the wrong place to ask that type of question...

the folks at Customs might be better able to give you an answer...

on private owned PC's it is different, and there I would agree with Vacunita, but this will be on business PC's and might fall under different bylaws...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

talk to the company you are buying the software from and see if they have a license restrictions on there software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back