Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Purchase Order Confusion Causing Deletion Prevention 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

action0335

Programmer
Aug 4, 2006
US
I know you get this intro alot but it is my turn. I do not work with Great Plains but just was added on to help with IT work that pops up from time to time so pardon any lack of information, and a request for more will be fulfilled.

They are working with GP V 6.00g45. It is running on XP and the database is SQL.

She says that there are old purchase orders which did NOT become orders still on the system that now cannot be removed. She showed me the order and I did confirm that there seemed to be no option to delete. She then showed my an area where you can do inquires to pull up and then delete and when she puts in that order # it says it cannot be found. She is concerned other people in the department are going to see all these high quantites of purchase orders which actually do not exist anymore and think we are running out. She knows they are false but others would not.

I am sorry, I know this is a poor explanation but maybe someone can wrestle through it and point me in the correct direction. Thank you.

Hi

You should be able to void these Purchase Orders (using the void button which should be next to the delete button in the Transactions > Purchsing > Purchase Order entry window).

Hope this makes sense.

I explained this to her and it seems I misunderstood. The way she described it was there were "ficticious" sales on record. The way she is able to find them and show them to me is she goes under > Inquiry > Sales and then found the order that never went through but is still on record. These are what she wants to delete.

These are "Sales" that need to be deleted not "Purchase Orders". If you need any more info let me know. Thanks.

you can void these sales orders too

you should be able to find them using the lookup (magnifiying glass) in transactions>sales>sales transaction entry

-----------
and they wonder why they call it Great Pains!

jaz

Figures, the one who handles the sales side is off today. But I will try that fix tomorrow and let you know.

So on the Purchasing side:
If an "Item Inquiry" shows an order for 216, yet the "Purchase Order Processing Item Inquiry" shows no order of that size (they are all quantity orders of 2,1,1,etc.), how does she remove those:

Transactions > Purchsing > Purchase Order entry window?

Thanks again.

Ok, more details on the Purchasing Order dilema from above. The Purchase Order cannot be called up using the Purchasing Order entry window because, even though it can be found in an "item inquiry", it is considered a "closed" purchase order (even though it never existed)and cannot be found doing an inquiry in a Purchase Order Entry Window.

ugggh

ok.... I'm confused.

you're talking purchase orders, sales orders and item inquiry

first thing I suggest you do is run an inventory reconcile to get yourself even and tehn let's go through things one step at a time.

-----------

jaz

You have every right to be confused :) This thread started with a person at work asking me how to delete sales that are stuck in limbo and cannot be found. I got confused about the terms and called them purchase orders. Then when I posted the thread and got a solution for purchase orders she said she was looking for deleting sales but we did have someone on the purchase side who was having the same problem. It seems on both the purchase and sales side they have orders that were initially posted but never followed through and somehow are stuck in limbo. When they do an inquiry by the PO or Sales # it says that it cannot be found. Yet when they scroll through the items in an item inquiry they can be seen.

What does an inventory reconcile do? The only reason I ask is before I request her to do it I should probably have some sense about what I am asking her to do.

I really appreciate everyone's help when it is coming from a newbie like me who struggles to even explain the problem.

reconciling will go through and clear inventory quantities and rebuild them with data that is in system. It will correct inaccuracies that constantly happen with inventory numbers.

on the sales side....

when you're doing your inquiry, do you see an asterisk next to the document number? if so those are voided documents and you can only see them historically.

what screen's exactly are you talking about (give screen names as listed on the top blue bar of the open window) and describe what you're trying to accomplish.

-----------

jaz

On the sales side she finds the quantity by going from Inquiry>Sales>Sales Items and that takes her to a window titled "Sales Order Processing Item Inquiry". She then enters in the item#, hit "Unposted" and then "Redisplay" and scroll down until she finds the order which has already been posted yet somehow shows as unposted. And there is no delete option at this point.

She assumes since it is uposted she can neter the Document# and void it but it will not allow this stating that is has already been posted.

Does this help?

Sorry, one more question about Inventory Reconcilation. Does this shut down the system or do anything that I would want to back up or proceed with caution? It sounds, not dangerous, but let's say sensitive.

check out the help section regarding inventory reconcile.

backup if you want to

I'd do it whilst no one is in system

---------

you cannot delete or void documents from within an inquiry window.... you'll need to go to transaction>sales>sales transaction entry and look up the sales document number then either delete or void the order accordingly

-----------

jaz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back