Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Punctuation Purplex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chance1234

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2001
US
1. "O for a muse of fire..."
2. "O for a muse of fire... ..."
3. "O for a muse of fire,..."

I have recently got through some proofs for some items i having printed for my business. The problem is I have three variations on "O for a muse of fire" which area above. If your not familiar with the line its the start of Henry V, so it should be a continuation, but the question is , what out of the above 3 is correct ?

Chance,

Filmmaker, gentlemen and forum1229

Or, to confuse the issue,

Let's hope not, nor be!

-------------------------------------
Every joy is beyond all others. The fruit we are eating is always the best fruit of all.

CajunCenturion

"I have read that irregardless is an abomination of the combining if irrespective and regardless. It's an oxymoronic word. "

I thought that expressions could be oxymora not words.

Oxymoron A figure of speach in which opposite or contradictory ideas or terms are combined (ex thunderous silemce, sweet sorrow) source New World Dictionary

Can a single word be a figure of speech?

Every joy is beyond all others. The fruit we are eating is always the best fruit of all.

A good question.

According to Merriam-Webster, the second part of the definition shows that in a broad sense, a concept can be an oxymoron, not limiting the scope to just a phrase.

Also, the Compact Oxford dictionary shows 'bittersweet' as an example.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I don't see bitter as a contradiction of or in opposition to sweet.

Nothing.

Something can be sweet, salty, sour, and bitter all at the same time. I think each sensation is either present or not present, and does not necessarily have an opposite.

It is true that the effects of bitter can be ameliorated by sweetener, but this is more akin to an interaction than a negation...

In an emotional sense, things can definitely be bitter and sweet at the same time, with no contradiction.

Wise and foolish seem more nearly opposed, so sophomore works for me as an oxymoron.

• Every joy is beyond all others. The fruit we are eating is always the best fruit of all.
• It is waking that understands sleep and not sleep that understands waking. There is an ignorance of evil that comes from being young: there is a darker ignorance that comes from doing it, as men by sleeping lose the k

Maybe Oxymoron should be a whole new topic, I believe it's mostly used incorrectly but lets see I may be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back