Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Punchout using cXML

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpdg

Programmer
May 23, 2005
US
I have the opportunity of creating a punchout app using cXML. I have done 2 punchout apps before but in standard HTML.

I have no experience in doing a punchout in cXML (or even XML for that matter). I know there is information on cXML requirements at but I have never seen any examples of how it would be done.

Does anyone have any code samples for a punchout in cXML or XML?

There are lots of samples on XML and cXML, but what I need is more specifically samples of what I need to develop to send and receive data (in cXML format) to/from the client. I don't know if I need to use SOAP or web services or what.

Thanks!

PS: I originally posted this on the asp.net section. It seems they don't know what punchout is. Another name for it is OCI with is Open Catalog Interface. I have created the first 2 punchouts in asp.net using standard HTML for posting to the client's server. But the last 2 offers I have received send posts in cXML to the client's server.

PS: I posted this on the asp.net section since the punchout was written in asp.net. Another name for a punchout is OCI with is Open Catalog Interface. I have created the first 2 punchouts in asp.net using standard HTML for posting name/value pairs to the client's server. But the last 2 offers I have received send posts in cXML to the client's server.

I guess what I mainly need is what ASP.NET uses to create XML documents and how they are posted to the server.

Has anybody created a punchout (Open Catalog Interface) using XML and have some sample code that I can get some ideas from?

The problem you will have is that no specific technology help (which is how Tek-Tips is organized) is going to be able to provide help for, "How do I create an application?" The cXML document is quite large and there is quite a bit of tutorial information in it, despite its claim not to give guidance about how to create such applications.

This XML forum is best suited to answering questions directly on point regarding XML and its related specifications and standards. There are some really knowledgeable folks here, but the almost deafening quiet you are experiencing is due to your lack of a question in the area of XML-based technologies. You mentioned ASP .Net so Chris pointed you at Microsoft articles about how to deal with XML in the world of Microsoft.

After quickly scanning the cXML specification, I can see that several messages and responses are defined in XML. This characteristic is shared with dozens of other application areas, from education to banking to slot machines. I don't see anything particularly difficult or unusual in my brief look at cXML - from the viewpoint of someone quite familiar with XML but almost totally unfamiliar with 'punchout' as an application.

This is all not to chase you away (as seemed to happen in the ASP forum) but to invite you to make your questions more specific. You say that you have done these applications before, so it must be something about the particular cXML technology that has you seeking help. We can help, but we cannot read your mind.

Tom Morrison
Hill Country Software

I understand what you mean. What I'm asking for is code samples of anyone who has done a punchout application before. I realize that's not very specific, but I won't have any specific questions until I start the project.

The ASP.NET part is not the difficulty, it's the XML part of the program that I don't have an idea to approach since I have never seen any examples of what modules (SOAP, parser, Web Service, etc.) I would need to build one to post data in XML format to SAP or Oracle. Once I have the basic idea of what I need to build to create it then I can go with it.

The presentation and pulling the data from the database is no problem. It's basically what I need to put the data into the format (XML) that the SAP application is expecting and posting it there. I've done punchouts for SAP before but only with standard html name/value pairs using the URL_HOOK that the company generates. But how to do the same thing for SAP in XML... I'm just not sure what I need to create to get the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back