Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pulling Values in one cell based on another

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksgirl2

Programmer
Jul 19, 2002
US
Hello,

I have two colums of data. A customer number and a customer name.
I have a spead sheet that I am working with that has a colum for entering the customer name and i have created a drop down list that is populated by a list of names i have hidden below the form. also hidden below next the the customer name is their customer number.
How can I populate the Customer Number column above based on the selection of Customer name i select from the drop down list on the Customer name column above? Is it an If statement of some fashion?? ...i need to automatically match customer name and number... am i clear?
Thanks in advance.

Marie

Hi

VLOOKUP should do it. I haven't got access to Excel at the moment but if you look in the help file you should find the syntax in there. Post back if you need further help and i'll see what I can find out.

Hope this helps

[lightsaber] May The Force Be With You [trooper] [yoda]

if i understand u correctly u could do this:

say your customers are in cells A7 to A16, and u have a cell reference link of A5 (cell reference link is in the format control of your drop down box)it'll return a number depending on what customer is selected.

Your customer numbers are in cells B7 to A16.

the cell where u want your customer number displayed use an indented if statement like this:

=IF($A$5=1, B7,IF($A$5=2,B8))

obviously only done the first two but u get the idea.

also why not put your custmers names and numbers in A1 & b1 downwards then hide the columns?

Thanks for all your input. i solved my own problem before i even looked to see if anyone answered. I did a LOOKUP( ) function. It worked great. :) thanks for your help!

marie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back