Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pulling in Data from another Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonsudbury

Technical User
Sep 1, 2009
CA
Hello,

I have a few fields that I want to pull in from another database, is this difficult to do?

I want to use sharepoint as our internal "goto" spot. I want to pull in certain info from our time and billing database, (names, addresses, WIP, etc... )and keep all other data in sharepoint. This way there's no duplication of info, and all info necessary is passed on.

Thanks for the help,

Jon

I should clarify. We have Microsoft Windows Sharepoint. The "free" version we originally got. Can anything be done with this version?

I'm not sure about WSS 3.0.
you may be able to create a custom web part that displays the data, but as far as something oob, I don't know of anything.

I have also read about some third party tools to do this, but have not tried any of them (bamboo solutions mashpoint comes to mind - google can help with that).

carl
MCSD, MCTS:MOSS

You may also be able to SharePoint Designer to create a Data Source in the Data Source Library. I think you can connect to web services, xml files, and Databases.

the following link may help -
There are some blogs which deal with issues people have had connecting to certain datasources (google search), one in particular is located here -
Hope this helps.

carl

Good Luck - if you would post your experience for others, that would be great.

carl

We may just go for it, so yes, I will provide information on the experience. This site has been helpful to me so far, hopefully I can give something back.

-Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back