Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pulling fiber 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dschartung

Technical User
May 11, 2004
US
Small non-profit trying to save money. What is involved in pulling fiber. We have a raceway that our current 25 pair feeder and one ethernet run through 200' feet to the next building on site. We want fiber to that building since all other buildings are fibered already. What kind of fiber? Multimode? Do I pick a outdoor rated shielding/armor?

Thanks,
Derek

P.S. Last pullers were kind enough to leave mule tape behind in that raceway.

hopefully there is enough room to pull an innerduct through first and then pull the fiber inside that innerduct. the innerduct will have a pull string inside of it. just have to be careful not to kink the fiber or bend it too much when pulling it. you can get it pre-terminated with whatever connectors you need on it. multimode or singlemode will depend on the electronics you utililize on each end of it. typically singlemode is used for extremely long runs.

thanks, tim

So its ok to pull like any other cable? Pre-terminated bulk cable sounds expensive? Multimode should be fine for our 200'.

When you figure in the termination cost the pre-terminated fiber isn't that much more and may be less overall. OK to pull like any other cable, NO! There are specific limits as to how tight a bend and pulling force you can apply to fiber. You might get away with over pulling copper and only stretch it a bit but fiber will break and then you're up a creek.

This is starting to sound a bit dodgy. I guess this is a job for the pros.
I have a bid from a contractor for $2500 to pull this fiber and terminate it. Yikes!

$2500 seem like a lot. I would call a couple more installers and tell them you want the same as what your other buidings are using. If you don't know ask them to look.

we use multimode with sx termination. I called another company and am waiting for a bid. Thanks.

Multimode will work fine in your application.
Use a good 'indoor/outdoor' and you won't HAVE to use any innerduct. It normally comes in an orange color or you can get it in black but then get lables to put every so often on the cable telling everyone it is fiber in case they don't know.

Armored/sheilded maybe overkill unless you are going 'aireal' which we do not know from your posting.

Get a least a six strand count cable,have them all terminated and tested, so you have good back ups in case of any broken strands or for future uses.

Sure, 2500 may sound like a lot but not knowing the location and the physcial layouts, it is hard to think your local contractor is off.

You also have to remember the labor and the equipment for the terminations and testing is part of the contractor's bid.
NOTE: Leviton now has a new reusable fiber connector called their 'threadlock'that is easier to install without glue etc. It comes in all the types SC ST etc. (not a plug for Leviton per say,but just a note on how to save some money as some contractors figure in a few extra connectors in case of need for a re-do during testing).

The run is not aireal. I have a second bid for $1200 from a contractor who actually came out and inspected the termination points and found the inner duct. In that inner duct is one cat5 cable which currently serves as the lan connection for that building to the main fiber access point. That can be used to pull the fiber. We may pull the fiber ourselves and have that company terminate it.

Now, that is much better. Just make sure you use a 'sock' on the end of the fiber and make sure you over order on the distance so you can cut off about 10/20 feet off after you pull, to insure any stress is done away with and with about a good 20 feet for the service loop and termination.

Good Luck

If it comes down to you pulling the fiber yourself, keep in mind and whoever would be helping install, DO NOT PULL THE FIBER STRANDS. Meaning there is a strengthening member within the cable that shoulb be used the actually pull. This will cut down the risk of too much strain and stress to the cable. The strengthening member is usually yellow Kevlar and looks alot like hair. (tough as nails though)

good luck

"Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

I'd pull it yourself and then just have someone else terminate it....

Use a cable lubricant to ease the pull, the jacket on fiber is not the slickest and the lubricant will help if you have to make any corners in the pull.

I think I still have a can/bucket of pull grease.
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back