Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pull strings? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechInNeed

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2002
CA
Hi,

One of my offices are moving from one location to another and I was informed that the contractors are not pulling the network cables but are running pull strings only. I have no clue what this means. Can someone give me some insight. Does this mean that the contractors will simply run the cables into each office just bare and hanging, and I have to crimp and purchase plug faces for the outlets?

It probably means that they will run no cable at all, just drop pull-strings in the walls for you to drop the cable into the walls with....

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Thanks a lot man. I just got this confirmed. :)
U were right on the money.

Please remember to have a new pull string pulled in with your cables, it will save you in the future.

Yes, that is exactly the setup from the contractors. There will be no cabling, and no face plates, etc...just pull strings.

With regard to pulling string with the installed cable, there is something to be aware of.

When we pull string in an empty conduit, or it is a "ring and string" operation (mud rings on the studs and string through the top plate" using the electrical poly bucket o' string is great. It has plenty of strength for that and works fine. There are a couple situations that you should NOT use that type of string:

PVC conduit or innerduct can be a concern. If you pull a good sized bundle thru PVC, you will likely burn the conduit in the corners as the string is pulled across the inside radius of the sweep 90 under tension. The string can burn a groove and get stuck in there so that when the head (cables attached to the string) comes to the corner, it may hang up and not pass at all. We routinely shoot this string through PVC, but when you pull your product it, pull a piece of mule tape (flat webbing) in or larger diameter rope before putting any wire in.

Pulling a string with the installed cable can be handy for later, but if you use the bucket o' string you will find that it comes out of the bucket in a spiral and does a real sweet job wrapping around the cables. If you use it then to pull more product in, you run the risk of damaging the original product by burning the jacket. Again a flat webbing 'mule tape' won't twist around the cables that way and will serve you much better when pulling in new product.

Good Luck!

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Thanks Daron. Very informative posts. I will keep that in mind as well.

Just to add to what Daron said, when you pull your cables in, if you will use a spindle just ahead of the cable head, it will minimize twisting. It will not eliminate it, but if you can't convince the boss to spring for the more expensive muletape, use it. I am a penny pincher and I use the swivels from my fishing tackle box. they work great, cost almost nothing, and when we first used them, everyone thought I was a genius.

Larry McNeill, RCDD/RTEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back