Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Publishing web site ~ Want Information on Subwebs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markie37

Technical User
Mar 23, 2002
US
I am publishing a web site that will have several subwebs. As I grow, I expect many new subwebs to be added. Question is, as I add subs,and want to change things on my parent web site, how do I up-load the newest sub webs without up- loading ALL of the subwebs? The subwebs that are already published will have changes done to them directly through the isp/Front Page, on the server, not necessarily in my website folder.

In other words, when I make changes to the parent site and want to upload the site with those changes, FP asks "if I want to up-load the subwebs too?" I do not want to upload ALL the subwebs in my folder, just the new ones. As time goes on, the subwebs will have certain changes that will only pertain to those already published sub-webs, which means if I up-load all of them, the changes I made earlier through my isp will revert back to what I have in my subweb folders.

I hope I made my question clear. I know what I want to ask and do, but sometimes have trouble putting it into an understanable question.

Many Thanks
&quot;May all you days be as nice as mine&quot; <')))><

If you open the parent web in FP and make changes, you can publish those changes independant of the subwebs. Just do not check the option to include subwebs in the publish.

For changes to any subweb - you can open the subweb directly in FP, make the edits and publish only the subweb changes to the remote location for that subweb without disturbing other subwebs or the parent web.

Hope that helps.

Tiffany

Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Hi Tiffany. Thanks so much for responding to my question. I understand being able to make changes to the parent web independently and ditto for the subwebs. I am wondering how to make changes in my computer on my parent web and while doing that, add another subweb or two to the parent web and then publish everything except the subwebs I already have on my isp.

I'm afraid when making any changes to a subweb that is already up, and when I upload my changed parent pages with new, added subwebs, that I would be adding the old subs too, but they won't have the new changes that I did directly prior.

I hope I presented my question better this time. If I didn't please let me know!

Maybe I can send any new subwebs directly without sending the parent web???????

I will be looking for your reply!
&quot;may all your days be as nice as mine&quot;
Markie

When you are working locally, on your hard drive... You can either create a new subweb under the local copy of the parent - or as a new web altogether; stored anywhere on your hard drive.

If you create a new web - one that isn't a subweb of the parent on your hard drive copy - then, of course, you won't be able to &quot;include&quot; that subweb in a publish of the parent web by clicking &quot;include subwebs&quot; should you ever want to. Most people don't anyway.

I would suggest that you store each subweb on your hard drive as an independant web of its' own - not under the parent web. Open each independantly to make any edits you want - and publish it independantly of any other web.

If you do create more subwebs under the parent web - the only way to publish the subweb is either:
Include subwebs during publish of parent web - which will then attempt to pulbish ALL subwebs under the parent
or
open the subweb independantly anyway, and publish it independantly

I do wonder if you are sure that you are creating &quot;subwebs&quot; as opposed to just subdirectories? If you aren't specifically telling FP to convert a new folder to a subweb - then it isn't a subweb at all and will be treated as simply a folder of the parent web - and it's contents will be published each time you publish the web.

Does that make sense? Let me know if you have more questions - or still have the same question and I haven't answered it yet.

Tiffany

Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back