Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Publishing Symposium stats to a web page

Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingDave

Technical User
Aug 11, 2003
GB
Has anyone ever published Symposium stats to a web page?

We have a support desk and they would like to be able to allow customers to check our Intranet to see how busy they are before phoning.

We don't want any of the customers to have to download anything onto their PCs (they are locked down to the nth degree).

My two ideas are either to pull the stats directly to the web page via an ODBC connection or to embed and ADD display into the web page (also how would this load the server if dozens of users viewed the page together?). Has anyone out there done anything like this before?

This sort of thing is beyond my ken, so if I'm talking nonsense, let me know.

Look forward to your replies

DD

Try Webclient (comes with Symposium 4.2 or after)

We have a web client, however, we don't want to give access to everyone in the entire company (several thousand staff across several buildings).

What we're looking to do is to modify an existing page on our intranet such that it displays select stats for the Service Desk. A wallboard on a web page if you like. I know ADD is out there and we use this also. My questions is how do we integrate it with our intranet.

Cheers

I think you have to use CCT 5.0 for that (the old Tapi that is..), as you need to get access to the realtime data. This isn't something you can get out of the database...

Additionally you can modify your scripting, so that if a person calls you first announce how many people are waiting.
It's not the solution you want but a work around.

quick and dirty / take a screenshot every x seconds from the realtime display and post the picture to your webserver.

better: write a program with the realtime api and directly export html or textfiles every x seconds and include the export somehow in your webpage (database, cgi, perl, asp, whatever)

I'm planning on doing this through a PHP script. I'm not sure if you have anyone who knows PHP or ASP and SQL. This method is probably more trouble than it's worth if you don't have anyone who knows these languages.

I'm assuming this is possible, as I have yet to do it. Can anyone confirm?

I should clarify. I know PHP well. I just wasn't sure if anyone has been able to gain access to the Symposium database directly from PHP or ASP. I didn't konw if Nortel had any protection on the tables.

After a bit more checking, there are standard packages that can do this although they cost more.

Symon's Deskview for Java - embed the deskview into a page on one's intranet

Centergistic's Agent View - similar to above.

Still keen to hear of home grown solutions...

Thanks for input thus far

Using the RTD toolkit offered through the Nortel Open Developer program you can stream the RTD data from SCCS into a Sequel database or other and then put it into a website. We have created these types of applications for out customer. If you are still interested or need more information please email me.

Jason Chavez
Communication Networks
jason@com-net.biz

Do you know where that RTD tollkit is? Is that on the client or server CD?

The toolkits are not available except through the Nortel Developer Program. You 1st must get qualified as an Open Developer and then you can purchase the toolkits.

Jason Chavez
Communicaiton Networks
jason@com-net.biz

For call data, we do it in our enviroment, but it's all custom. First we replicate the necessary tables from Symposium into SQL. Then we have asp programmers create the pages necessary to produce the reports. We do the same with data from Avotus.

For RTD's another method I've heard of is to have a Symposium RTD running on some sort of "server" and utilize an application like Snag-It to take screen shots of activity. Then those screen shots get displayed on the web page.

That is currently what I am doing for RTD's. It's a pretty dirty hack though. It will have to do until we shell out the cash to upgrade to the latest verion with web client.

Just for info, we mocked up something whereby screen capture software scraped a screen with RTD on it. Save it as a JPEG via a mapped drive to a 'web server' (in reality just a desktop PC). Users browsed to a page on the PC to view the stats. Manual refresh was required.

If you need it, I've got some javascript you can use that will auto refresh the image. That's what we are doing here and it seems to be working well.

Thanks for the offer, but our web guys are of the opinion that the info should be pulled to the screen rather than pushed in order to keep network traffic, cpu etc. down as much as possible. These days, we have to cost these sorts of things into our projects.

This is actually a client side javascript. The user's web browser pulling the image on a regular basis. But I understand trying to keep the costs low. If anyone else needs the script let me know.

What dont you write a vbsricpt to extract relevant information from your Symposium DNS to a SQL database. Then write your PHP/ASP front end to show this information???

Quick and Easy

MoMoZoNe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back