Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

publishing hangs after sending files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnk

Technical User
Mar 23, 2001
US
does anybody know what fp2000 is doing (or waiting for) when the dialog box says "processing web updates" at the end of the publishing process? lately, on my site it has been hanging forever in that phase - it successfully sends the updated pages, then stays forever in the "processing" phase. Normally it would only stay there for a few seconds or so. It does this whether i'm publishing to my ISP or to the localhost, so i don't think its an ISP issue. I think somehow i've corrupted something in my internal information, but i don't know what. any ideas??

Try recalculating your hyperlinks... on your hd before publishing (you should do that each time before publishing anyway) also go live on the server and do it there.

That might help.. fp is processing all the links... so if they are recalculated to the latest way you have them it's going to take longer.

well, sounds like you're right, in direction anyhow. when i recalc hyperlinks, it goes away forever too (i'm pretty patient, i gave it a LONG time, a couple times). so its probably related. is there a possibility that its internal information is somehow corrupted? can i somehow reset its "knowledge base" and let it start over fresh?

how long is long? I have 20mb site that I recalculate before publish which is most weeks... You have to keep it up.. it can take about 5 or more minutes... if your site is not that large but has never been done.. leave it doing and for 20 mins.. and see if it's still hanging... I'm stuck at this point.. if you don't find an answer here... I know of a few other good places where you can ask quesions...

Tina AccessFP - FrontPage Resource Centre
Ezine - List -

It also could be how busy the server is (i.e. you load at a peak time). I've had times where it does take a long time to finish loading, and mine was because the server had a lot of traffic. You might try a non-peak time, like the early morning, and see if that makes a difference.

Linda Adams (Garridon@aol.com)
"The Importance of Being Grammarian," published in The Toastmaster, March 2001

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back