Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Publishing free/busy info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggeroo

Technical User
Apr 5, 2001
DK
Using Outlook 2002(SP1) I am trying to publish free/busy information on our ftp server, but whenever I try to publish it says that the write operation failed. I am positive that the URL is correct and that the user has rights to write to the ftp, as i can copy/paste the URL to a browser and do everything i want. Also, it works fine if the server allows anonymous access, but this is not an option, since it is reachable from the internet.

the publish location URL looks like this: ftp://username:password@servername/name.lastname.vfb

Hope somebody can help

Is the public folder not working? I'm confused. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

I am trying to publish the info to a standard ftp server. Have tried both IIS ftp and 3rd party ftp servers, but with the same results.

According to this doc, I should be able to do it this way

I am not sure about the public folder thing as I never quite understood the function of public folders, but as far as I can tell, I shouldn't need to use them for publishing free/busy info.

By default this info is stored in the Shedule+ Free/Busy Public Folder.

This is why I am asking why you want to store it someplace else. It looks like you want this for people to see on the internet? If so I understand as the Public Folder is only for your Org.

NOTE : For servers with Anonymous Login disabled for FTP, you must use the following URL format that allows you to log on when you publish:

ftp:// < User > : < Password > @ftp.domain.com/Usersfolder/Freebusy/Myname.vfb

Is this not working? If not I would check the ftp logs. Dan

The reason I want it to be accessible from the internet is that we have a lot of people on laptops in different locations.

I checked the ftp logs and it seems that Outlook disregards what I type as user:pass and tries to log in anonymously no matter what.

We agree that an URL such as this should work, right?
ftp://user:pwd@servername/freebusy/name.vfb

as stated before, the URL works fine when pasted to a browser

What do I have to do to make Outlook recognise the username and password???

I dunno thats what the article says to do :)

I have never tried it. I can ask the author if he/she tested it. Dan

Any help will be greatly appreciated..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back