Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Publishing Cubes in Cognos 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

worldofchandran

Technical User
Mar 16, 2007
US
Hi,
I wanted to know if we can publish a Powerplay cube into Cognos 8 BI server with out the poweplay enterprise server in place.
I just have cubes developed out of a standalone Powerplay transformer edition. Now to use it in Analysis Studio how do i Publish the cube? Can it be done via Cognos Connection?

Hi,

You do not need PPES to publish cubes into Cognos 8. Once you have built the cube with Transformer, you will need to go into Framework Manager and use the Metadata Import wizard to point to the cube file and publish it as a package.

Best regards,

MF.

Thanks MFGF,
I got that information.
Can you provide me with some information on how much does a PPES liecense and an individual powerplay transformer and powerplay client license cost?

Regards,
Chandran

Chandran,

You would have to contact a sales rep for that one. They can give you acurate book pricing and any possible discounts you might have.

When purchasing Cognos 8 BI it usually ocmes including a cd with "Olap modeling" which is basicly transformer and it includes the powerplay client.
The C8 analysis studio is he succesor or the powerplay Enterprise client.
Why would you want to go back to series 7 technology?

Stefan

Because Transformer in C8 is Series 7 technology. PowerPlay web in some cases is still the better tool for most users. Analysis Studio is still new and lacks in some areas compared to PowerPlay Web, it's also harder to use for the basic end user, creating a much larger need for end user training.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great advantages of Analysis Studio, like you can use it against a dimensionaly modeled relational database and not a cube at all, which is fantastic, but creating that in FM is a bit more difficult than creating a cube.

Hi All,
Thanks for all the information.
The problem in my case is the end user requirement. The only advantage of having cubes is to report it in the Excel client of Powerplay. All the users are well versed in Excel and they probably prefer excel client to work with reports.

If i am not mistaken then we cant import the cubes created in a Powerplay transformer in to an Excel sheet directly with out the Excel Client of Cognos. Or is it Possible??

Regards,
Chandran

Hi,

Because PowerCubes are a Cognos proprietary storage format, your only real option for reading from them in Cognos Series 7 using Excel is to use the PowerPlay for Excel addin.

In Cognos 8, you can use Cognos Office Connection (now called Cognos GO Office) to sit within Microsoft Excel and bring in data from reports and analyses saved on your Cognos 8 server.

These would seem to be the two easy solutions to getting your data directly from a cube into Excel, unless you fancy writing your own interface using the C8 SDK and your favourite development language (or CWS and your favourite development language for Series 7).

Regards,

MF.

Keep in mind if you are using C8 or PPES 7.4 to deliver your cubes, Transformer is 7.4 either way, so the cube is no different. The difference is how do you want to get the information to the end user, via C8 or PPES. PPEs is a lot less fancy and C8's Cognos GO Office is fancy, but they both do the same thing, open a cube inside of Excel.

Hi,
How does one trigger the Cognos Go Office or Cognos office connection in Cognos 8. I searched for this and dint get much of an information. Is it sort of a feature thats available in the cognos connection portal or does it need a separate instal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back