Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Published App w/a switch through CAG think there is a 2nd server

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrism0n

MIS
Jul 19, 2002
US
I have an application that limits the users to only run one active session per PC(server). You can have multiple instances running, but only if it is on the same computer. If you try to run the application from a different PC, with your initial session still running, you would get an application error after putting in the applications userid and password. Basically, a pop up saying that the user XXXX is logged on to PC YYYY, do you want to kill the existing session so you can login?
However, when the user runs the application through our CAG they can run it more that once, since we only have it running on one citrix server. Citrix sees that there is an open session to the server runing the application, and doesn't even ask for the application user credentials. The app just opens up.
Now to run the management console for this same app you run the exact same .exe. You just put ADMIN after the .exe in the path. This works fine locally. BUT When they run that through Citrix it will only run once. It is very common for the admins of this program to have both running. (The normal .exe, and also the .exe with the switch)
Internally, running through Citrix Program neighborhood, it also allows this. (?) So, it seems to be related to how the CAG looks at the published app with the switch. If you look in Citrix Program Neighborhood Center (after trying to run through the CAG) it says that you are on 2 different servers even though it's only one server we are connecting to. The app is not installed/or published on another server.
When they log into the app from their desks using Citrix (internally they do not sign in through the CAG)the Citrix Program Neighborhood Center only shows 1 server.
I was thinking that there might be away to trick it using a batch shortcut, but I was wondering if anyone has seen this type of thing before.

More details - It seems that even if there is no switch in the path, the same exact program (application.exe) with 2 different published applications icons, you still get this pop-up. But not through Program neighborhood.

I need to test with another application like word. But....

With this app it seems that through Program Neighborhood you can have two published apps with different names, pointing to the same .exe, and citrix will recognize that it is the same application and the same server.
Through the CAG - it treats these as two seperate different applications.

If I publish two different applications excel1 and excel2, both pointhing to the same excel.exe (same server) and they will both open through the CAG - the 1st time is the only time that it appears that your credentils are used. In other words no "connecting to server" it just opens wham.

The application I am having an issue with does not behave this way.

Sorry - thanks
I think there might be another issue - but unsure.
We are running 4.0 and 4.5 on the same farm.
2 different zones.
Same license server. Apps are not load balanced between the versions.
I will read over the articles.
thanks
ScanJam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back