Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Publish Flash into a common format? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennyucf

Instructor
Jun 22, 2001
US
Hi, there

Happy New Year! :)

I had a question when designing a flash greeting card, with some animation. I am using Flash MX. The source file is 100k, and swf file is 40k. I want to publish it into a common format so everybody can see it without downloading the extra applications.

Is this hard to do? I tried all the publish format, but it didn't work out.
1. exe file is too big (1mb) and most of the email boxes won't accept the file.
2. gif, png, jpeg lost all the animation
3. mov requires some people to download quicktime in the computer.
4. html and swf are not good to send via email..
5. I don't have a website to upload the file..

What should I do??? Please help....Thanks a lot!!

Waiting online....

Hey!
Well, you should get a website. They come in paid and free, just to let you know. A good free host is (I use that one). A good paid host is (was paying for a site, but didn't feel like adding on to my credit card bill!). Thats the only way I can think of it.
FLASHfreak :)

b.t.w. FLASHfreak1021 and FLASHfreak are the same! I don't know why, but whenever I try to login it says "Oops, theres been an error. Please contact the tek-tips managment team...".

Hey, FLASJfreak

Thanks for your recommendations... It's good know of a free website..:)

And I have one more question: The greeting cards are customized to different people. It's hard to direct all the people to one single site, right?

Thank you very much!!

The slickest way to do it is to customize each *.swf for the person, upload that file to your website, and then e-mail the link to your friend.

*.swf files are overwhelmingly common these days. Almost everybody has a Flash player. Flash advertizing is quite common on the web these days, so common that many people don't even realize they're Flash.

Or, just send the *.swf file to your friends. 40kb isn't that big, unless they have a slow dial-up connection.

Do not send *.exe files, because the are often mistaken for viruses.

Hi,RoguePoet01

Thank you for your reply!!

Do you mean that I can send out ".swf" file out and it will play even if there is no Flash MX, the actual software, installed in the computer?

If so, that will be perfect...

RoguePoet01 is right, the *.swf will play in the ie Browser or most if not all new browsers that have the flash plugin. Tell your friends to play it in internet explorer(if their PC doesn't automatically associate IE with the *.swf file type, and it should work, they may have to download the newest plugin from the Macromedia site, depending on what version you saved it in.

Well,
I would recommend putting an HTML file there too...
because on my computer, it doesn't automatically choose internet explorer to play a .swf file! It will ask you to choose what program you would like to use to open this file.
FLASHfreak :)

HI, there

Thanks a lot for your advice!! :) Especially FLASHfreak who worked on the New Year's Day...

Jenny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back