Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Publish Desktop automatically after Windows Logon

Status
Not open for further replies.

blfrd76

Programmer
Jul 17, 2003
US

Running Win2k Server, Metaframe XP load balanced and a whole slew of Win98/95 workstations.

Here's what should happen:

-User starts workstation
-User logs into Windows domain
-Citrix desktop is published automatically based on the username and password entered for the domain username and password.

-Terminal Services Group Policies are applied to the user
-User does whatever work needed done.
-User logs off published desktop session
-Windows domain logon screen re-appears.

I know how to publish a desktop just fine. I'm trying to streamline the process.

Is there a way around forcing the user to open Citrix Program Neighborhood and choosing the published desktop?

Thanks,
Bill

Hi,

Create a custom ICA Connection to the Published Desktop, enable Local User with Pass through authentication.

Right Click it in Citrix Program Neighborhood and create a desktop shortcut. Move it to the All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup so that regardless of the domain user, it will start up with their domain details.

Don't know how to do your last option though!

Cheers,
Carl.

Beleive it is also an option to replace the default explorer shell with the ICA PN.

This way the user will only get the autostarten published desktop.

Petje
A+, MCP, MCSE on NT4.0 and windows 2000 and Windows server 2003 and CCEA

I'm trying to work out a simple batch file right now, but it's not working exactly the way I want.

I went through this a bit ago and we got a utility called "Wrapper" from thethin.net. It did what you seem to need to do except it shut down the client machine rather than logging it out. There is a forum on tek-tips that discusses it:

If you decide you want the utility you can download it from:

I may try to write something similar in VB.net to accomplish the same thing.

I did try to replace the shell with the path to the pn.exe and it works great.

Except when you log off the ICA session. Then you're left with what looks like a blank desktop and the only way to get out is to CTRL ALT DEL and choose shut down.

Any other ideas?

Erm publish icon to the desktop and startMenu as well as PN and copy it to startup ? That is where I would start.

[blue]Arguably the best cat skinner around ! [/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Bill,

Did you not try the Wrapper option then?

Cheers,
Carl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back