Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Publish Access dB and Data Access Page to IIS ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

icartmanxx

Technical User
Jun 11, 2003
CA
I have created an Access dB in 2002 and now want to publish the dB and HTML Data Access page to a Win2K server running IIS5. How do I do this? I can copy the documents to the server fine but when I try to open the HTML page it is trying to look locally in my C:\My Documents folder for the MDB file. How to I get the HTML page to look locally on the server for the MDB file so that all external users can make changes to the table?

Feedback appreciated....

You should not have your mdb in your iis directories as it could be easily downloaded and changed and then uploaded again.

I would create the database out of the iis and then publish the pages to the iis as access is already doing i assume. when the pages are loaded it should automatically connect to where your database was created and allow broswing etc etc

hope this helps

My problem right now is the HTML page won't link to the Access dB regardless of where I put it on the server. I orginally created the dB on a desktop PC and the HTML pages are still looking for the file locally on whatever PC opens up the page. I need to know how to link up the HTML page with the dB so any user can access through their browser.

Html?

are you sure they o not need to be asp?

as in active server pages.

every dB connection i have made is from an asp page and not an html page.

Hope this helps

Psyclones: When you create a data access page in Access, it creates an htm web page not an asp page (I've just tried this).

icartmanxx: If you open your web page using a text editor (don't use front page, word, or any other kind of word processor), search for Data Source. You will find this right after the style section. Change the directory location to what you need, save it and it should work.

Nordyck

nordycki@hotmail.com

That works on the server fine. Ie changing the Data Source to C:\Inetpub\ However when I try to access the database from any other PC I have the same problem where it is looking on each PC's local hard drive for the same path and file name. I was hoping that Microsoft by now would have made it rather easy to publish a database to the web but I guess I'm wrong. If you have any other ideas I would be interested in hearing them.

Try modifing the path to 'APP\App.mdb'. You might have to play with it a bit. You might try moving the mdb to the same directory as the web pages. I've built couple of pages and quckly abandoned it because I couldn't make the modifications I needed.

If you can't get it to work there is always aspmaker at
http:\\ I used it to build my site http:\\ It uses MS Access backend. Its simple to use and it builds all the code for you including sorting and filtering.

To use this, you will need to install the asp componet onto the webserver and set the parameter for that directory to execute.

nordycki@hotmail.com

You need to use UNC to get to your db. On the IIS server, create a share to your database directory - let's use dbshare - then in the Data Access Page connection replace c:\blah\blah with //dbshare/dbname.mdb. That way, when a user loads your page from the web browser, IIS will be able to see your data because it's a local share name. You'll also have to tweak each browser's settings to access data across domains. Hope this helps.

I have been doing this exact thing that you refer to in the initial question.
Below are the steps to publish Access DB to a web server using IIS 5.1 and Access 97. According to Microsoft...I Know but sometimes they have some logical stuff...You must put the access database under the root of the web
It would look like the following:
C:\Inetpub\You then need to add the DB to the web that you are building
Using FrontPage 2002
Click on tools ->Web Settings-> Data bases-> Add new database
You then explore to the c:\inetpub\wwroot\databases folder and choose the MDB file you want added.

Then click on verify.

My major hurdle on this has been using a linked MDB file, at this time I still have not been able to do it.

If you want to create custom searches using the database you just added, you then do a few simple steps, and you have some really cool custom search forms using ASP to search the database you just added.

Here are those steps
(In FrontPage again)
Click Insert-> Database->results-> Pick you database form the dropdown.
Then just follow the wizard.

Hope this helps

I did as you said but I still have a problem accessing the dB from any PC other then the server. The Data Source in the HTML page now points to C:\InetPub\ which doesn't exist on the desktop PC I was testing with. I was thinking of using the UNC path as someone suggested but not all of my sites are going to be on my network and will be connecting up through the web. Any more ideas??

You are getting close.
The Dir C:\InetPub\ Is on the Server machine
But when you publish the *.ASP or *.HTML page you must publish it to the site...
It would be somthing like this
The virtuial server is C:\InetPub\ with all of the file living below that die
When you publish it would be "I just tried this again to maske sure I was not full of it... It worked on My server and the three test enviorments that I have. If you need surthe help Email me and I will send you some screen shots.. Good Luck..[afro]

OOPS
"with all of the file living below that die"

AKA: "With all of the FILES living below that DIR"

Tried emailing you but trouble with servers...I'll post here. I tried as you suggested but still get the same problem so I'm doing something wrong. No matter how I post the data it always seems to come back to the DataSource line in my HTML file. Whatever I change it to seems to take effect on all client connections. I opened the HTML file in FrontPage and used WebSettings to load the dB and then published my site to the server as you suggested...no luck loading page, it still says "could not open database C:\InetPub\ That is the path the DataSource line currently points to.

Help please...

I am just trying to publish the HTML file created using MS Access Data Access Pages to a web site for external users to utilize. Ideally I need a quick and easy way to publish a one page document that populates a simple database and the only dB I am somewhat familiar with is Access. I was hoping by now it would just be a simple 5 step wizard to do this but it is becoming a nightmare.

Follow this link I made this test DB in about ten minutes tonight. Once you figure it out you will love it.

Try this. If you are trying to got to the server you use instaed of your local machine the DB MUST be At the root DIR of the web.

Contact me if you still need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back