Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Publication file size??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
My wife used publisher to create a simple brochure for her office. She was having trouble copying it to floppy so I took a look and noticed the file size was a whopping 25 meg! There are no photos or anything else graphically intense, just a logo, some text and some clip-art type line that she must have gotten from Publisher's wizard. Is this a normal file size for a publication file??? I have no way to get the file to my local print shop for them to print them. Any help is greatly appreciated in advance, her boss expects it finished in only a few days!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I realize I've missed your deadline and hope you found a solution.

As you can see Publisher is not an active tool. Even though I've used it profesionally, it's really more of a toy than a publishing software. I've done everything from one page flyers to an 8-page newsletter, and although the files are big, that seems way too large.

I have a trifold brochure I made with lot's of graphics and colors, and it only came to 3 Meg.

If you still want ot use Publisher, feel free to write directly to me and I can see what I can do to help.

Jon Holmen
jon@i-hate-computers.org Jon Holmen

hmmm.... I don't know what gives with the file size and Publisher. I'm only trying to figure it out so I can support other users (I don't use it myself)..... When I add a 280KB image file to a Newsletter template the file size increases almost 4 MB! What's up with that?!? Currently I'm tryiong to figure out why a simple 4 page newsletter with about 8 images is 45 MB in size!

Upon further investigation, I've discovered that Image management is critical in Publisher 2000. A jpeg images less than 300KB in size can increase the Publisher file size by 3-4 MB and has to do with image file compression features not compatible with Publisher 2000 - a confirmed problem by Microsoft. (Microsoft TechNet article Q253973)
Crop, Scale, and Edit Images before importing them into publisher. This saves immeasurable memory and space with regards to compression and resizing. As an example, in a recent Newsletter an image used, approximate 280KB in size, increased the overall file size by 4 MB. While the image size is small in itself, the actual graphic size is approximately 1500 pixels x 1100 Pixels. Resizing the image to a more ‘true’ publication size of 200-300 pixels x 150-200 pixels virtually eliminated this problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back