Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Public Folders with Saved Messages Created in Outlook 2007/2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjscott13

Technical User
Mar 12, 2008
AU
Hi All,

This is a weird one for everyone... and surely I am not the first person to come across it, but a search doesn't find much similar to our situation.

We have a Public Folder that contains a list of emails that have been written and are stored there as template emails to send to customers in particular situations. The permissions on this folder are for staff to have "Reviewer" access and Management are "Publishing Editors".

We have started rolling out Office 2007 in our office and so now have a mix of Outlook 2007 clients and Outlook 2003 clients.

The problem we have is when users of Outlook 2003 go to forward one of these emails in the Public Folder they receive either one or both of the following messages:

" Microsoft Word is set to be your e-mail editor. However, Word is unavailable, not installed, or is not the same version as Outlook. The Outlook e-mail editor will be used instead. You do not have sufficient permission to perform this operation on this object. See the folder contact or your system administrator. "

" You do not have sufficient permissions to perform this operation on this object. See the folder contact or your system administrator. "

In troubleshooting this error, this is a summary of what I have found:
- Outlook 2007 clients have no issue at all
- Outlook 2003 clients are the ones that receive the errors and it is only to some of the emails.
- If the email was created using Outlook 2003 WITHOUT using word as the email editor, there is no problem, but the formatting of the email is undesireable.
- If I change the staff members permission to be "EDITOR" there is no problem but this is also undesireable as we do not want staff to be able to edit the items.
- Copying the email causing the error into a new message and then saving it back to the public folder using an Outlook 2003 client does not resolve the issue.

Can anyone shed some light onto this situation? Maybe there is a better way to organise these template emails? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

My first idea on this would be that when 2007 users save the templates, it is like Word and Excel to ENCRYPT the document by default. Doc file are saved in .docX and excel are saved .xlsX, so my guess would be that these templates are .msg and if not .msgX they are encrypted as such.

Thanks for the post SWarrior. If this is the case, how can we work around this? In outlook 2007 you cannot change the editor for composing emails and we don't actually save the messages as .MSG into the public folder, we send emails to the public folder or draft emails and then move them into the folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back