Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Public Folders AND EXIFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

EBroekhuizen

Vendor
Sep 8, 2003
NL
Hello,

Can anyone tell me if the following procedure is supported by Microsoft?
On the Exchange 2000 cluster we share the M:\Public Folders drive for the clients and creating a drive letter for the clients. Also creating a folder & security structure.
If clients save their word document right into the public folder is saves the document and 2 temporary files.
On the NTFS structure these temporary files are not shown.
These temporary files cannot be deleted.

Does anybody know why this is or know that this procedure is supported by Microsft.

Eric

Hi there,

I do not believe this to be supported, there is a KB on the MS site which discusses the supported ways and methods of placing mail direct into the store but this is typically completed via an API. The reason behind this approach is that manipulation directly on the M: drive (ExIFS) can lead to the items loosing their assciated propertied ....as it is not aware of MAPI or schema properties associated with the item. The M: drive is designed for only viewing, typically I would recommend hiding it all together.

This is discussed more in;

281673 PRB: Moving Items Within Drive M of Exchange Can Remove Item Properties

HTH,
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back