Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Public Folders Access Denied 80070005 Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronjonmartin

Technical User
Jul 9, 2002
GB
Hi guys, hope you can help shed some light on this problem.

I am trying to create a public folder in Exchange system manager. It allows me to enter the name of the public folder i want to create but when I click ok i get the following message:

Exchange System Manager

Facilty: Win32
ID No: 80070005

Access Denied

Im logged in as the Administrator on the server. So I dont really know what the problem is.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Aaron

"It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about the problem."
Malcolm Forbes (1919 - 1990)

Is this 'Admin; account a member of the 'Exchange Administrator's' group?

Mike Fegan, MCSE

Read about the best FREE IT tools available, and check out the 'Babe of the Week' at

Create the folder from a MAPI client like Outlook, not from within ESM. Public Folders are supposed to be owned by users, and things are designed around having them created in Outlook, not in the ESM.

ShackDaddy

aaronjonmartin, did anyone recently make changes inside IIS? I've seen this happen when people make changes in IIS and it messes up everything else.

Security changes in IIS mess up PF views in OWA, but they don't stymie creation of folders in the ESM, since they "live" in the Storage Group, not in the webroot.

Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it.

TweakMYbox: thanks for the suggestion, how can I check whether this is the case or not, and if it isnt in the Exchange Administrator group how do I add it?

ShackDaddy: I tried this, but when I got the user to log onto the server and check if the public folder they created appeared under Public folders in ESM it didnt.

MadanB: As far as Im aware nobody has changed anything in IIS.

"It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about the problem."

Are you sure you didn't have the user create a Shared Folder? To create a public folder in Outlook you have to go to Folder view (not Mail, Calendar or Task) and at the bottom of the navigation screen on the left side you will see a new container. Public Folders are created in that container.

If you did properly create a PF in Outlook, the ESM view probably hadn't refreshed, since if a user creates a public folder, they exist in the Public Store and can't be existing anywhere else.

ShackDaddy

Thanks for all the replies guys, in the end it turned out that IIS hadnt been properly set up on the server when it was first installed so that was the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back