Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

public folder tree in system manager not visible 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hvdl

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2003
NL
Hi all

Rather strange but the public folders tree in the exchange system manager is not accessable. The public folders are there, can be used through outlook / webaccess or directly. The information store is available and the folders can be seen there. But the public folders tree just wan't expand. So how do I manage them ?
Anyone experienced this and knows how to solve it?

All MAPI clients can access the default Public Folders tree to read messages and store documents. When you create alternate public folder trees for applications or Web browsers to access, the alternate tree is not available to MAPI clients; however, applications and Web browsers can access the default Public Folders tree.

To display Folder tree type:

Start System Manager: On the Start menu, point to Programs, point to Microsoft Exchange, and then click System Manager.

If administrative groups are displayed, expand Administrative Groups, and then expand the group you want to work with.

In the console tree, expand Folders.

Right-click the top node of a public folder hierarchy, and then click Properties.

Click the General tab and look in Folder tree type to determine which clients can access a public folder tree.

(Default PF Tree)

(Alternate PF Tree)

If MAPI clients is displayed, clients such as Outlook can access the hierarchy in addition to applications, Web browsers, and IFS shares. If General purpose is displayed, MAPI clients cannot see the hierarchy, but applications, Web browsers, and IFS shares can access the public folder hierarchy.

Hi
I have the same problem,outlook and owa can access the public folders,but if I try to expand public folders in exchange system manager I get :
"the operation requested is forbidden"
"ID No. c03af1"
"exchange system manager"

what to do?

When you try to change the properties of a public folder using Exchange System Manager, you can receive that error. Did you try and change properties on one of the following tabs on the Public Folder Properties page:
General
Replication
Limits
Details
Member Of
Permissions
If so,
The proper permissions are not set on the Exadmin virtual directory that is below the HTTP virtual server.

To ensure that the permissions are set properly:
Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Internet Services Manager.
Expand the local server in the left pane. If this is a stand-alone server, expand Default Web Site. If this is a clustered server, expand the HTTP virtual server that corresponds to the Exchange virtual server. For example:
HTTP Virtual Server (EXVS01)

Right-click the Exadmin virtual directory, and then click Properties.
On the Virtual Directory tab, ensure that the following options are selected:
Script source access
Read
Write
Directory browsing

Click OK.

Thanks for these attempts but they do not answer the question.
There is no public folder tree in system manager to expand and set properties, nor can I add folders ( the option is there but nothing happens ). No error is displayed, iis is running fine, everything works for all clients, I just can't manage the folders from within system manager. the problem isn't exchange as a sytem but the mmc console not expanding the public folder tree ...

Have you ran the IIS lock down tool on your Exchange server? If so, that may be your problem. I had the exact problem you've described. The fix was to edit the configuration file the lock down tool creates and then uses. If your domain name ends in .com, then you need to remark out the block on com extensions. If .net then remark out net, etc. You can also search the MS Knowledge base for the artical that I'm describing, I'm sorry I don't have that ID for you.

I'm having the same problem! I can see the public folders under the server's Public Folder Store but I am unable to create new folders or manage them under the folder tree. Clients have no problems seeing them from Outlook or OWA, I just can't manage them from System Manager. I am running Exchange 2000 sp3 and in a mixed mode environment. I just did a move to Exchange 2000 from 5.5 and I am still running with both servers (although all mailboxes have been moved and Public Folders replicated via Active Directory Connector). Any help would be much appreciated!!!

I do know this is a bug.
You cannot add, see or manage public folders under public folder tree in the original version of ms exchange.
But when you upgrade to service pack 3 the problem should be fixed. But if that doesn't work try upgrading to ms exchange 2003.

Donna1234 are you sure you run update.exe when installing your service pack 3?
Because I do know if you install MS exchange 2000 without service pack that due to a bug you cannot create or see public folders under public folder tree. I had this problem myself and it took me a while before I understood that it's just a bug from microsoft and that there is nothing I could do to fix it manually.
So I installed service pack 3 over the current version and after I did that, everything suddenly worked just fine.

to all,

The problem is solved!
I could not install sp , the installer complained that there was no exchange server ...
After backing up the registry and db, I re-installed SB ( on top of the existing installation ) It kept all settings and was working again, including public tree management.
I don;'t have any explanation for this, but as long as it works I'm happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back