Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Public folder replication Woes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albion

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2000
US
Welp, I am in the last stages of my Exchange server migration. So far I have upgraded my Exchange 2000 machine to Exchange 2003. I installed a new server containing Server 2003 with Exchange 2003. I put both servers on the same site/organization/domain/Administrative group. Whatever it's called. I've jsut finished moving all my mailboxes to the new server. My last step is to move all the public folders over.

I've looked at replication and read about it on the Technet site. But from the way I gather I have to set replication on every folder for it to work. Well, I have hundreds and hundreds of folders. It's going to take me forever and a day to set the replication on all of them. Is there any way for me to set the replication on one parent folder and have work on all the child objects? Or is there a faster way just to copy all the folders over?

Also, one thing that I have noticed because of the 2000->2003 upgrade is that the Public Store has a different name. On the new server it's "Public Folder Store" and on the upgraded server it's "Public Information Store". Is this going to make a difference or cause problems with replication or copying the folders over?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-Al

Just replicate them one by one as far as I know. A tape back up might do it. But the old exchange server must be named the same as the new one. We all know what issues this can cause. My friend did it that way but lost a bunch of folders.
Think of it as a way to get a grip on public folder usage. Do not replicate old folders and wait for the users to miss them. You will have to have the old server online for several months as a quick backup.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back