Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Public Folder Permissions Not Working - Exchange 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

acipriani

MIS
Dec 14, 2001
US
We have Exchange 2000, and when we set permissions for new users (i.e. editor rights) on public folders, they do not work. For example, a new user Diane gets editor rights on a public folder contact list, but in her outlook, it only allows her read only permissions. Existing users with the same permissions and in the same groups, work just fine.

This just started happening in the last two weeks, with no apparant changes to the server.

Any help would be much appreciated.

try above the SystemManager to set the Permissions

Hi,

We have been trying to sort out the same problem - caused in our case we believe by Mcafee Netshield doing a scan on Drive M. DON'T LET IT TOUCH 'M'!:)

Microsoft support have been trying to help us fix it.

So far, we have exported all items to pst files - one for each public folder, and re-imported to a new folder structure with appropiate permissions pre-defined. At this point, items take on the permissions of the new folders but Exchange Manager permission change still won't change existing items.

Then, any items that are not Mapi aware (ie Word or Excel documents) can be fixed by moving out of Public folder to the Admin's desktop and copying back. Admin gets ownership and subsequent permission changes at EM level work.

We haven't yet got a proper fix for Email items in the new public folder structure, but at least users can access and change them.

Don't be tempted to fiddle with drive M NTFS permissions to sort it - it will only make things worse:)

Regards
David Bennett

Thanks for the info David, but I still don't understand how this can happen. I will have to assume that it may have something to to with our Norton, which does not scan the M: drive, but I am confused. Why have access to the M: drive, if all we can do with it is screw it up?

So if what you are saying is true, the only way to fix it is to export all items from the public folder, create a new public folder, and import all the items into the new public folder? Is that correct?

Thanks,
Adam

Hello Adam,

The fix that we have tried does not get us completely back to a working public folder structure - it does however allow users to start editing items again.

Before you try it, have a look at the MS exchange 2000 site. There is a routine you can go through to remove all public folder permission and their inheritance and then re-apply them. This will leave you with default public folder permissions at a minimum but you can then change them in EM.
This is what MS suggested we try first - didn't work for us, but your problem may be different. Try on a small public folder fisrt in case it makes things worse:)

Goto support.microsoft.com and search exchange 2000 for it - I'm not in the office now so I can't give you the info. Post again if you can't find it and I'll try and dig it up.

Best of luck
David

Hello,

In fact, I've found article - search on Q270905 in Exchange 2000 at support.microsoft.com.

As I said, this is 1st thing MS asked us to do but it does reset all Public Folder permission to minimal so be careful!

Regards
David

M drive is for people to have a way to directly code to the store and that is it. If you don't plan to do that remove the M drive...

XADM: Remove the IFS Mapping for Drive M ID: Q305145

And yes to remove inheritance and all permissions and then add back inheritance is usually the fix. Don't add any permissions via the M drive though. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

I have done it....
Ive lost contact to one public folder holding contacts for the whole company, How can I get it back ? I did Q270905 and now I have messed it up so bad that I as an Admin cannot see that public folder :eek:( I can set Admin to be the Owner in Exchange MAnager and I can verify it in Outlook but I cannot see any of the contacts in the folder... they are there i the M: drive (that I will never ever touch again) how can I get the permissions back in the M: drive ?? please anyone??!!
rgds
Lars

Create a new public folder in the ESM set the permissions on it giving you admin rights.

Copy the corrupt folder to this folder.

Right Click on the new folder > all tasks > propagate settings.

This should give you access to the folder. Then move the old folder back to the root of the public folders through ESM.

Hope this helps. Before doing ay of this make a copy of the folder!!!!

thx ScottNT,
I´ve tried your suggestion but it didnt change it all, now I have access to all the contacts thx. Only problem now is that some CONTACTS has different permissions than other CONTACTS, I ve done the propagate but the Filesystem rights seemes to be the problem how can I make all files to inherith rights, I tried the solution through the M drive (on a test folder) but that just dont work, any Ideas how to get all those rights back to default...??

please please

now I got it so far.
got all the contacts from the public folder in a pst file and imports it into a mailboks and copy all of them into a brand new public contact folder and gives the appropiate permission to one user (OWNER) and now they are all write protected ?? any ideas ??
please
rgds,
Lars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back