Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

public computers suggestion 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

maximos

Technical User
Sep 27, 2002
CA
Hi , i have about 8 pcs for public use by students (all xp pro), and a domain 2000 server

what is the best setup for these pcs , should they logon to the domain, or make them act as workgroups ?
Remember there is lots of students that would like to experiment with the machines, and i wanted to be as secure and limited as much as possible, i'm using a tool called doug's xp utilities .. would that be enough, ??

Any suggestions or any inputs are greatly appreciated

max

Hi Max, if you're running Windows 2000 server, with Active Directory running, then you're laughing..

Join them to the Domain so users must be authenticated to gain access to the network - then create an Organisational Unit, in Active Directory, and place the student user accounts in this OU - then use Group Policy applied to this OU to lock-down the workstations.

This allows you extensive control over what the students can and cannot access.. eg:deny access to Control Panel, Run/Command prompt, browsing network etc. etc. etc.

Coleford

I agree with coleford, Group Policy is the best way to go to limit student experimentation. You'll need all computers to be part of the domain in order to do it. Here are a couple of useful articles that tell you about Group Policy and how to use it:

Good luck!

- Zoe, that's ZOH-EEE, get it right please
- Just a little ol' MCP at Solien Technology
-

but some problems arise depending of what type the user is especially if he/she will be using some applications that need certain rights

one more question reguarding the group policy,

I did created the goup policy. In the group plicy edit section (mmc) what is the different between the computer configuration and user configuration ? Does that , computer configuration , is applied to the computer the user is loggin into ? and user configuration applied to the domain ?

Any inputs or reference will be greatly appreciated

Computer configuration refers to the computer ojects within the OU you are applying the policy to and user configuration refers to the users within the OU you are applying the policy to.

Jim

Jim Webber
Network Administrator MCSE CNA

In other words, User Configuration is a set of security options that follows a particular user account, regardless of what machine he or she logs into. A Computer Configuration is a set of security options that stays on one computer regardless of who logs into it.

-

I like all of your suggestions but students are very dangerous. To avoid ever rebuilding a PC do to a student (download, install, or anything else) there is a product called "deep freeze" no matter what you do to the computer (yes even Fdisk) as soon as you reboot the original configuration returns Bam like nothing ever happened - I have installe dthis product in schools and libraries and have recieve rave reviews and a lot less head aches

rphips

That sounds like an awesome utility to have in a public setting! I think rphips deserves a star for that.

-

thanks for the star and check out the product I didn't believe it at first but boy was I proven wrong the product is awesome

rphips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back