Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PSU..400 Not enough???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlockley

Technical User
Nov 28, 2001
US
New system in the making w/Athlon 64 3700, MSI mobo, Big Fan (Freezer 64 Pro) 512 ddr so far (second 512 in the mail).
powers up fans and power attached but won't with PCI E or CPU
power connected. 400w CPU isn't enough? Should I be looking at 500 (can keep 400, which came with Antec case for another unit when it is needed). Should I be looking at 550? (Mobo documentation advises 450 min).

Looking at Antec, just because I don't know any better. Any wisdom on brands or quality issues. NOT a gaming machine, won't be overclocked. And this is getting pricey.

Thank you all once more.

Well I think you've probably answered you own question! "Should I be looking at 550? (Mobo documentation advises 450 min).

If it was mine I'd go for a 550W so I had some spare capacity, but I'd not advise less than a 500W.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

I just upgraded my system to a Core 2 Duo, bunch of hard drives, 512mb PCIe video and I added a 680 watt psu. You can find them on Pricewatch.com for as low as about $30 but you probably don't want the cheapest ones, I got a Apevia ATX-AS680W from Newegg for around $100. Always better to have room to grow. You never know what tomorrows hardware is going to require.

Cheers
Rob

No, I am definitely thinking 550, but is my assumption that the failure to kick on when multiple connections are made is due to the psu? (probably, I mean?)
I don't want the cheapest, but what are some good brands. I have been cruising dealtime, and some are very affordable, but the initial reason for the system was a heat question in the old one (running fine, but with case open).

Always better to have more power but that is not addressing your start up problem in my opinion.
Firstly, I would like to know more about your hardware: at the momemt all we know is that you have an Athlon64 3700 and a stick of 512 memory and to be honest a quality 400watt unit, like the Antec you have, shouldn't have any problems powering these basic components.
Your statement is also a little vague!!! ie: powers up fans and power attached but won't with PCI E or CPU
What exactly do you mean? nothing on screen, no post? posts with onboard graphics but not with PCIe graphics card?
Has it ever worked, is this a new build? more likely something is shorting out than inadequate PSU.
More info Please
Personally I don't think the PSU is your problem, I've seen loads of 3700/3800 AMD units running on cheap generic 350watt PSU's which aren't a patch on an Antec.
Obviously it depends upon other consumers especially which graphics card you are using.

Good brands:
Seasonic, Antec, FSP Sparkle, Fortron Source, Enermax, Thermaltake, Jeantech, Hiper, OCZ, Tagan, Zalman, Corsair to name a few (any would be good)

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

I am glad and dismayed to hear that. I will put the details in from home. This is a new build.

This is one of "those" questions... the kind Ghostbusters made famous.

If someone has to ask if you need a larger power supply, the answer is YES! :D

---***--- Drew Software deals in Personality Management software designed to reduce employee turnover by matching people to the right jobs and improving workplace communications.

Here we go.
Mobo is MSI rd480 Neo2.
Chip fan is Freezer 64 Pro (Power Consumption: 0.16 Amp.
Graphics EVGA GeForce 6200
512 DDR (Second simm in the mail - long story)(requires min 300w)
Attaching a single drive with cpu fan, case fan only connected but Graphics card removed works.

However - might be a bum power supply. With everything but fan removed, hd connected to see if power working, runs sporadically. Started up twice, then failed. Started up and kept running once. Hasn't started half a dozen times. (Starts after idle for about ten minutes). I will report convesation with Antec.

Let me just check that I am not missing something: Without mobo connected the case fan should still work and a connected hard drive should still run, correct?
(Same results w/w.out power switch connected to MoBo.)
Thx.

K, with just the specs you've mentioned, I can't see anything that is a severe power consumer. A GeForce 6200 is minimal, 512DDR is minimal, a CPU fan is minimal... nothing major there. I'm running a dual core, 1024g RAM, 250gig HD, DVD RW drive, Nvidia 7900 graphics card (dual power supply requirements) and a Hauppauge PVR-150 TV tuner/recorder card and only require a 350 supply (but have 430 just to be safe). So as stated, I don't see anything on your system that would require a heavy duty power supply.

But bottom line: you can't have too much power. So whatever your budget can afford, go for it. :D

---***--- Drew Software offers highly accurate Personality
Evaluation software. Reduce turnover. Improve job satisfaction.

Well..we have a wrinkle.
I just spoke to Antec (local and I like them very much right now) about the supply.What I did not know is that the new power supplies are 100% regulated by the motherboard, so tonight I will cross connect the home computer to the board and pray that everything powers up. (can return supply, but don't think board).

Just to be sure, however, let me ask: Connecting an ide drive (only) to see if the system powers up will not work, unless the board is connected to the power supply and the power switch, right?

Getting pricier all the time. Now hunting for asus board (MSI had me worried from the get go, anyway.)

>Just to be sure, however, let me ask: Connecting an ide drive (only) to see if the system powers up will not work, unless the board is connected to the power supply and the power switch, right?<

Right. If I read you right... tried that a long time ago just to quick-test a component. I've never seen a power supply that operates unless it is actually attached to a motherboard. I once read of a guy that built a "fake motherboard shunt" to close the power loop and fool the power supply into thinking it was connected to a motherboard. Good if you're a tech who uses it all the time. Otherwise, lots of hassle, that.

---***--- Drew Software offers highly accurate Personality Evaluation software. Reduce turnover. Improve job satisfaction.

You read me right. And having tested it
with a lesser supply I know that the Power supply is dead. Picking up another today, then we will see what else doesn't work.

I've been enormously happy with Tiger, but got a few things including case/power supply from Buy.com, and I don't think they exercise any particular standards.

Occam's Razor applies so many time. No power: dead power supply. :D

Different folks have different experiences though. I've tried ordering from Tiger twice and both times had bad experience. My biggest complaint is their tendency to "hype" the items they sell (ie, make them sound better than they really are). So usually, I just trek down to my corner computer warehouse and spend a few enjoyable hours in the "bake your own" department. Some people fish... I fish for components. :D

-- Drew Software offers highly accurate Personality Evaluation software. Reduce turnover. Improve job satisfaction.

Can't find more than one local computer warehouse. My standby's seem to have closed.

it is beginning to appear that it was neither mobo nor power supply but a faulty chord.

Cord? LOL. One doesn't know whether to laugh or scream eh?

-- Drew Software offers highly accurate Personality Evaluation software. Reduce turnover. Improve job satisfaction.

Really, but I am not sure. It might have been a case short caused by improperly bent pikes from the rear plate.

Rest of story: Have ip and running, SATA drive installed, (won't recognize ide's well, but that's another topic for another place)..hot diggity. Pack it in car to bring to office, set it up, it's dead. Go through all chord things, dead. Try out alternative board..roars. Set up alternative board in case, plug everything in. Dead. (scream is probably where we are.)

I happen to have a second mobo. Long story. check mobo 2 out of case. Roars. Put in case, plug stuff in. Dead. (got a pattern here.) take it out of case. Roars. Definitely got a pattern here..although I had taken the firs out of the case as well). Look at everything, and, really, the only chance of a short I can find is the rear plate, so I bend back all the prongs, reinstall board, works. Takes about ten minutes to stem the bleeding from the cut I managed to get, but that's another matter, too.)

At any rate, the first MoBo goes back. I have an extra cooler, because I couldn't get the 64pro ac etc to sit (couldn't last time either, and there may be some issue there, as well) so I got a cheaper and smaller one.

Could be chord, could be case, could be mobo 1. It works at last, and thank you all for all your support. I do like what I have so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back