Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PSTN issues in Tonbridge, Kent, UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ant007

Technical User
Oct 29, 2003
GB
Hi

IP406 v2 4.2
I have an issue at a site in Tonbridge, Kent, UK, I only mention this because I am wondering if anyone else has any issues with PSTN lines in this area - as I seem to be having unending problems at a couple of sites.
My related issue is people are "supposedly" calling in but the handsets aren't ringing, the receptionist will pick the phone up to make a call and says there is someone there waiting to be answered - does anyone have any ideas

thanks

1) ringer volume on the phone?
2) did the DS expansion module get upgraded correctly (V3.2.999 then V4.2)?

Computers are like Air conditioners:-
Both stop working when you open Windows

Thanks IPGuru.
They randomly recieve calls so I don't believe its the volume and the fault has suddenly started happening. The system has sat there quite happy for a number of years.

if the ds expansion module is not upgraded correctly the system does work for some time & then gradually deteriorates so this could still be your problem
a reboot usually resets things for a while so it can be easily missed.

as downgrading the module to 3.2.999 & then back to V4.2 is a fairly simple task that would be my first step (I I suspect the first step of the other MVP's here)

Which slot is the Alog module in the back of the 406??

Have you checked all the line settings against what the line provider is sending????

Does the call always ring if an alog phone is connected directly to the lines???

Jamie Green

Football is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

Thanks all.
some additional info to help you, help me.
1 x 406, 1 x 8 port POT expansion. Calls handled by 5420 x 2.
Analogue card in slot A and unused ISDN2 card in slot B.
regarding line settings no I haven't checked but if I was what would I ask?
As of yet have been unable to get to site to check phones connected directly in. Fault has just reared its ugly head

Analogue lines are always a pain in the bum, save yourself and them the hassle and get BRI back in and use the card in Slot B (this also means you can have remote programming via the lines) :)

Untitled-1.png

did not see analog trunks originally
what firmware version are you running?

i have seen in the past that if an analog line trys to ring a busy destination it did not re alert when the dest became free.

always ensure that the destination for an analog trunk can never be busy (send to a group & enable queuing) to avoid this.

I though it had been resolved by V4.2 but as analog lines on an IPO are a rarity in the UK maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back