Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.pst Files in Outlook 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevebray

Instructor
Aug 19, 2002
AU
Hope someone can help.

I backed up a .pst file while re-imaging, and now am unable to open it. I am asked for a password (it wasn't password protected), when I cancel I am told that that "the properties for this information service must be defined before use". It seems to be the same problem as other threads but all the possible solutions mentioned haven't worked.

I have made sure that the file is archived only (not Read-only). It is on a local hard disk not a cd or network. I have tried renaming, importing, opening. I have also tried scanpst which found minimal errors and made no difference.

I have checked out the MS knowledge base and found nothing that worked for me.

Does anyone have any other ideas (apart from buying cracking software)?

BTW I am using Windows ME and Outlook 2000.

Steve

Check this FAQ. faq68-2269 -Brad
A+, MCSE NT4, MCDBA SQL7

-Best cartoon of all time :-D 'Spongebob Squarepants' [cook]

Thanks Brad. Sounded like it was exactly what I needed.
Unfortunately it "failed importing" during the second phase.

The first two messages were about "Failed importing PROPERTY ...". Another "Failed importing FOLDER...". And the last "Program terminated in error..."

Wondering if anyone knows of any doco on this program - I can't seem to locate any. Or if there any other possible solutions out there?

Steve

BTW I have two separate, backed up copies of this file which worked perfectly before I backed them - one to CD and one to a network. Also, it's only about 28mb so it doesn't fall into the 2GB trap.

Did you try your logon password for Windows to open it? Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Yes, in desperation I've even tried my Windows Logon password.

Steve,
What form did you back up in to your HD and CD? Was it just a copy or did you compress it?
Also, is the target backup drive formatted the same (NTFS, FAT32, etc) as your source drive?
BonCourage

There are bits that Outlook reads at the beginning of the pst file. It sounds like Outlook is mis-reading one of those bits and thinks that there is a password on the file. Try running scanpst.exe and then open the file. -Brad
A+, MCSE NT4, MCDBA SQL7

-Best cartoon of all time :-D 'Spongebob Squarepants' [cook]

The pst files were just copied not compressed or zipped or anything. The NTFS idea is interesting. The files were copied to a notebook running Windows XP OS (then backed up onto CD). So I guess that would be NTFS and I'm running Windows ME so that would be FAT32.

I hadn't heard this could be an issue. If so, is there anything I can do about it?

As mentioned in my earlier post, I did try scanpst, but it didn't seem to find anything too much wrong and appeared to make no difference.

Thanks for the help

Did you try to open it with the administrator password off the XP machine? definitly this could be an security between the NTFS and FAT32

Try importing it on an other machine with XP/W2K and then copie it via the network to your PC.

Good luck

No, I didn't try to open on the XP machine. I just copied it straight off. I have copied it off again since and am still at the same point. I am also Admin on the XP machine.

Seems like I am running out of options. Thanks for the suggestions. Any other ideas - perhaps on the NTFS/FAT32 front?

Dudes,

"the properties for this information service must be defined before use" thats what happened to me.. I founnd that the archive file was read only, i changed the attibute off, and the .pst file worked fine..

have a go, let me know.. Regards

Yardyy

As mentioned earlier, attributes are not the issue. The files are not read only.

I've seen similar problems posted since. ISTM that with all these people having problems, there must be a solution out there somewhere.

Steve

Just wanted to say thanks. I was having the same problem with a password (that noone knew) and I used the program. It worked like a charm and saved me loads of trouble.

Which program did you use hchman, you never said.. Regards

Yardyy

Thanks for the quick post, this forum is cool... Regards

Yardyy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back