Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.pst file is in use and cannot be accessed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RKinsey

Technical User
Jun 3, 2001
US
Exchange 5.0 user has a .pst file that is 900 megs in size. The service fails to open the file. I have not been able to open the file to repair it or break into smaller pieces. Is there a utility that might be able to handle the task?

Stupid suggestion maybe, but the title of your post:

.pst file is in use and cannot be accessed

is usually solved by rebooting the client workstation and making sure no-one else on the network has this file open.

As for the 900mb, we have users with 700+mb files that work fine.

And a utility? sorry - I don't know of one myself.

HTH,
Andy.

use the Inbox repair utility to repair the pst. file. Go to help and do a search for inbox. FYI- do not have pst file over 1.9 GB.

Francis T

I had a similar problem with this and after using the inbox repair tool etc. I was left with creating a new .pst file and importing all of the folders and messages into the new .pst file. A bit drastic but works. The limit for a .pst file is 2GB. Personally I don't see how anyone needs a pst file bigger than 200MB, they should be using the Archive utility.

Thanks for the assist everyone. I nfound that the file was "in use: by a failed Veratas backup job. I was able to open the file with a hex editor and save it to a different drive and name. The new file, once opened in Exchange, was broken into smaller files and archiving set up.
Thanks Again,
Randy

If you want to split files. Use a free down loadable utility called 'Winsplit'. Just go to Google and do a search for winsplit. However, I have never split such a large file

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back